Chapter 3: As Time Flies

The little girl had been a challenge to care for as she grew. At six years old, she was comfortable in the shrine and began to play games with Mizuki, whether Mizuki consented or not. 

"Ume, please," Mizuki whined, "You have to come out and take a bath."

"You have to find me first," she said softly. Mizuki could barely hear her voice or where it came from.

"Ume," Mizuki whined. Despite being frustrated, Mizuki was still happy that she felt safe enough in the shrine to leave his side. He started opening closets and searching inside cabinets. Little did he know, a giggling, bright-eyed girl was curled up in Lady Yonomori's arms, while the woman smiled lovingly for her two children. 

"Ume!" Mizuki sounded helpless and frustrated.

Ume pouted slightly.

"Do you want to stop hiding?" Lady Yonomori asked.

Ume nodded and wiggled out of Lady Yonomori's arms. She slipped out of the room and went to find Mizuki. His back was turned as he looked in a closet. She ran forward and jumped on his back, making him stumble forward and hit his head on the wall.

"Ow," he muttered, rubbing his forehead with one hand and holding Ume steady with the other.

"I'm sorry, Mizuki," she said, hugging him tightly around his neck. He sighed and situated her on his back.

"It's alright," he said, smiling, "Now, are you ready for a bath?"

Ume nodded and rested her head on Mizuki's back as he walked to the bathroom. He let her down and made sure she had a towel and change of clothes in the bathroom before closing the door and sitting outside it. He smiled as he heard her splashing in the water. He didn't mind cleaning up the mess since she got to have fun. 

When she finally opened the door, she held her kimono closed with her hand and held out the tie in the other. Mizuki tied the ribbon and then took a hairbrush and sat her down on his lap in his crossed legs. He ran the brush carefully through, occasionally picking up her towel to attempt to dry her hair more. When her wet hair had been taken care of, he walked with her to the plum tree and let her lay her head in his lap. He couldn't resist spoiling her. After dinner each night, she got a piece or two of candy and every night, she fell asleep staring at the plum blossoms, even during the winter, when Mizuki bundled up her and himself. He didn't personally like the cold, but for Ume, he would withstand it so she would be happy.

"You don't have to spoil her for her to love you," Lady Yonomori once said.

"I spoil her because I love her. Not because I am buying her love," Mizuki had replied. 

In just a year, Mizuki had come to love the child dearly.

By twelve years old, Lady Yonomori had been tutoring Ume in needlework and Mizuki had taught her how to clean and had her help with chores around the shrine. He would've treated her like royalty, however, Lady Yonomori insisted that proper discipline and work would be good for Ume. Of course, she had been right and Ume had come to enjoy the daily tasks she did with Mizuki. 

One night, as she lay in Mizuki's lap staring at the tree, she asked him a question.

"Mizuki, won't I have to leave someday?" she asked.

"I would love if you never left," Mizuki said, "But someday, you must go to the human world and start your own life. Have your own family."

"But what if I don't find anyone to love?" she asked, "Or what if no one loves me?"

"Don't even let that thought cross your mind. You are beautiful and wonderful and smart. When you find someone who can see that in you, you'll know he loves you. And when you see everything about him that is wonderful, you'll know you love him too."