Chapter 14: Ume's Point of View

One second, I was walking back toward my shrine and the next, I heard terrifying cackling. I was suddenly pinned to the ground and felt hands on my shoulders and waist.

"Help!" I yelled, "Please, somebody!"

A clawed hand covered my mouth. A large yokai came out of the brush and knelt down to me, lifting up my chin with a hand almost as big as my face.

"Hello, darling. You'll make a lovely bride, god of Hearth and Home." He laughed and snapped his fingers. The yokai on top of me lifted me up and started dragging me away.

"We'll get help!" my shrine spirits rushed away. They had such a terrible sense of direction. All I could do is pray for luck as I was picked up by my shoulders and legs by four yokai and taken away. The large yokai, obviously their leader, ran his hands over the entire front half of my body as we walked, while I screamed against the hand that covered my mouth and tried to squirm away. I cried and felt like I would suffocate because of my hindered breathing.

It was like lightning struck my head as I suddenly saw a village. The yokai were gone and I was standing before a man with a black aura. He suddenly brought a hand down on my cheek, sending stinging pain and fear coursing through me. As I tried to run, a woman grabbed my arms and pulled me into a house. I was suddenly the size of a young girl. I was forced to watch as they ate in front of me, then screamed at me for not eating my own food. I was slapped and beaten. I ran out of the house and came to a river. I washed my stinging flesh in the cold water but I was suddenly yanked into the house.

"Stupid girl! You know better than to go near the river!" the woman yelled, slapping me.

The man suddenly grabbed me and hit my arm hard, making a bruise.

I screamed again and bit the yokai whose hand covered my mouth. causing him to pull away and cry out in pain. Another sharp slap rattled my body and fear coursed through me. I was stronger than this. I had always been. But at that moment, I was weak, trembling, and I lost my voice. I was afraid to speak.

"Stay silent!" the yokai yelled as I winced at his voice while tears streamed down my cheeks. I pursed my lips and he smiled, showing uneven, sharp teeth.

"Good," he said, running his hands over my body once more. We arrive at a cave and I was taken to a room. As soon as I was set down, I bolted. I heard the yokai laughing and I didn't realize why until I suddenly fell down a hole. I cried out in fear and pain as I fell a long way and finally crashed onto the hard stone. Cuts covered my legs and arms and I felt sick to my stomach from the sight of my own blood and torn skin. I curled away into a corner as the sound of the yokai's laughter grew closer.

"Give me your hand, darling. I'll pull you up and we can enjoy our first time as lovers," the leader said.

"No!" I shouted back, finally finding my voice.

"You'll have to come up eventually! Your body will need food!"

"Doubtful."

I knew I could survive a few months at most with nothing to eat or drink. The perks of being a god added up quickly. I pulled my knees in close and curled into the wall. I wanted to be away from here. I wanted to be safe. I-I've wanted this before. I've felt this fear before. Earlier, that wasn't a dream, but it was a memory. I've been afraid like this. I've been hurt like this. How did it end? What stopped it? What took me away from those people? Someone took me away. And took care of me. In front of my eyes, almost like a movie, flashed the image of me sitting on the lap of a beautiful woman while Mizuki braided a few strands of my hair. Lady Yonomori. Mizuki. Mizuki saved me. He took me home and Lady Yonomori let me stay. Mizuki saved me.

"Mizuki!" I yelled, tears pricking my eyes, "Save me!"

The yokai up above laughed his horrible, grating laugh, making me shudder, "Well, if Mizuki does come for you, we'll be sure to welcome him."

I knew they would try to kill him. But Mizuki's too strong, isn't he? He'll save me. He has to. Ai, Etsuko, please find Mizuki. I finally gave into the stress and fear and cried softly into my knees. I wanted to feel safety in Mizuki's arms again.

Days passed slowly and each day, the yokai leader would offer me food if I agreed to come up and be his bride. I refused and he scoffed and left. This continued for I don't know how long as I waited for Ai or Etsuko to return with anyone. I was more sure that they were lost and no one was coming. On one of these hopeless days, I became hungry. When the yokai offered food, I debated accepting out of desperacy, but I couldn't sacrifice my body like that. Someday, Mizuki or Tomoe would have to go to the shrine, or, with luck, Otohiko would visit and see the neglect and know there was trouble. 

"Come now, you must be starving!" the yokai called down mockingly, "Just accept and come feast with me."

"F-fine," I said, almost whispering and hoping he wouldn't hear.

"Good girl," he said. He lowered down another of his slender followers by his ankles and I grabbed the yokai's hands. The leader pulled us both up and then abandoned his follower to grab me and pull me close. I thought he would kiss me, but he smiled.

"None of that. Wouldn't want to become a familiar, now would I?" he laughed.

"I'm here for food, not you. Don't get cocky," I said.

He laughed his terrible laugh and grabbed me by my throat, "Which of us shouldn't be cocky?"