Chapter 35: Unity

As soon as Kurama unlocked the door to his apartment, Mizuki flew in the door and went to find Ume. When he found her sleeping form in Kurama's bed holding Sachi, he ran over and hugged them.

"Mizuki?" Ume muttered sleepily, "Mizuki."

She wrapped her free arm around Mizuki's neck and buried her face in his chest.

"What's going on?" Sachi whispered, rubbing her eyes. As soon as she recognized Mizuki, she wrapped her arms around his torso and closed her eyes again.

"Suzuka's defeated," Mizuki said, kissing Ume's forehead.

"Remind me to burn that bed," Kurama said, leaning on the doorframe.

"Knock it off. It's a special moment," Nanami said, whacking the back of Kurama's head.

Ume laughed, but Mizuki shushed her and pointed to Sachi. Sachi had fallen back asleep between Mizuki and Ume.

"Thank you for keeping them safe," Mizuki said softly to Kurama.

"Yeah, it was no big deal," Kurama said.

"Hey, where's Tomoe?" Nanami asked.

"Oh, I told him about the yokai that attacked while he was gone, so he's heading back to the shrine."

Ume and Nanami both shared a worried look. Nanami sighed wearily and left the room with Kurama in tow and Ume and Mizuki were left in silence.

"Ume, I have an idea of a way to return your memories," Mizuki said.

"How?"

"Can you wait for just a short while?"

"Of course. I've waited this long, haven't I?"

"I love you," Mizuki whispered.

"I love you too," Ume replied.

***

Another heavy snowfall had come and the yokai and gods alike were bundled up. Mizuki and Sachi seemed to both dislike the cold, sitting cocooned together in blankets for most hours of the day. Nanami had run off into town with Ume to go winter shopping at the very first snowfall and when they were summoned to the Year God's shrine, Kurama agreed to babysit Sachi at Sachi's request. Now, Tomoe, Mizuki, Nanami, and Ume were standing before the pillars leading to the Year God's Shrine and, expectedly, Tomoe and Nanami were having a disagreement while Ume and Mizuki watched.

"Nanami, you will have to wait here," Tomoe said.

"No way. I'm the god of Mikage Shrine and I have every right to complete the job." And with that, Nanami had run off through her pillars.

"What are these, Mizuki?" Ume asked, watching as Tomoe glared down Nanami's path before walking down his own.

"When you walk through yours, your entire past will replay in front of you," he said, "It's like walking through your memories."

"Will you be alright?" she asked.

"Of course, but you deserve to see the truth. Go ahead. We'll all see you on the other side," Mizuki said, "I'll be fine, really. You've healed my heart. I'm not broken any longer."

Ume searched his face, watching for his signature fake smile, but his smile was small, tender, and genuine and his eyes glimmered with compassion. 

Mizuki kissed her lips gently and a rosy blush covered his face as he scurried to his path. Ume slowly approached hers, staring up at the sign overhead that bore her name. She had wanted to see the happy memories for so long, but to do so, she had to relive the pain as well. Mizuki had faced his pain and fear and Ume knew she had to do the same. She couldn't back away now, after waiting so long. She slowly walked down her path and watched as the very first days of her life appeared before her eyes. Her parents. Mizuki. Lady Yonomori. Her husband. Her death. Her rebirth. Mikage. Tomoe. All of it passed slowly by her eyes, the movie of her life, and as she watched it play, she was proud of how much she endured and it was happy tears that slid down her cheeks as she saw how she fell in love with the same man twice.

As she reached the end and Mizuki came into view, he yanked her into a hug, then wiped her tears.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his voice trembling. 

"I love you," she said, kissing his lips. Mizuki kissed back, stroking her cheeks with his fingertips gently.

When their kiss ended, Ume caught a glimpse of an affectionate, proud smile on Tomoe's lips before he put back on his disinterested look.

"Where's Nanami?" Ume asked, happily snuggling against Mizuki.

"She still hasn't come out," Tomoe said.

"But you took some time too, so maybe she's just really studying her old memories," Mizuki said, sitting down on a bench and pulling Ume onto his lap.

After over twenty minutes passed, it appeared Mizuki's theory was faulty.

"Should we go in after her?" Ume asked.

"We have to. She may have gotten lost in her past," Tomoe said.

"Is she in danger?"

"No, but if we don't get her out, she's stuck there," Mizuki said.

"Wait here, Ume. We'll be back," Tomoe said.

Ume stood up and let Mizuki follow Tomoe back down Nanami's path. Mizuki didn't leave without giving Ume a sweet peck and then racing after Tomoe.

When what felt like forever passed, Tomoe returned carrying Nanami.

"What happened?" Ume asked.

"She reverted back to five-years-old and we had to chase her down," Mizuki said, "But her young self didn't really like or trust me."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Ume chuckled giving the pouting Mizuki a hug.

"We'll continue on to the Year God's Shrine when Nanami has woken up," Tomoe said, setting Nanami on another bench and sitting beside her.

"What do you think this year will be like?" Ume asked.

"Whatever it's like, I'll never lose you again. I'll love you for eternity," Mizuki said.

"And Sachi?"

"She's ours to keep. It's for the best with her potential power."

"I love you," Ume said.

"I love you too. However, I want to ask one final thing," Mizuki said.

"What?"

Mizuki lifted her arm and rolled up her sleeve, showing a glittering mark around her wrist where his fingertips touched, "Can we truly be united as one, from this day, through every life and timeline we know? Can I express to you every day how beautiful, wonderful, strong, and brave you are when we wake together in the morning and fall asleep together at night? Will you marry me?"

Tears trickled down Ume's cheeks as she whispered the one word that made Mizuki's heart leap with joy.

"Yes."