Chapter 11: School

As Nanami talked about the class at school, Ume was thinking about Mizuki. He seemed so strange. He was sad one moment and happy the next. Something was off. He could only be one or the other. Only one half was his real feelings. 

"Ume, you alright?" Nanami asked, snapping Ume to reality.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said, "I'm concerned for Mizuki."

"I know," Nanami said, "He has a habit of concealing his feelings. You know the saying 'fake it till you make it?' It seems like he does that when he's upset. When he's angry at Tomoe, he'll throw a sharp barb and show his feelings for him, but then he'll be all happy and come talk to me with a smile on his face."

"I wonder, does he know me?" Ume asked, "Does he recognize me? Did he see me die?"

"I don't know," Nanami said, "I'm sorry I can't help."

"No, no, I'm just thinking out loud."

"Oh. Well, I'll ask Mizuki about it when we get back."

"Don't," Ume said, "I heard him crying. He's hurting far more than I am. I don't remember what happened and maybe if I did, I would be sad, but now, I'm happy. I have no worries. Mizuki is hurting and he needs to come around in his own time. If I try to force him to do anything, he'll hide deeper under his facade to keep himself safe."

Nanami nodded thoughtfully.

"I worry that he'll pretend that his negative feelings don't exist, and he'll keep them inside until they break him."

"How do you want to help him then?" Nanami asked.

"I'll offer to talk to him, but I won't force him," Ume said.

Nanami nodded, "It seems like a weak plan though."

"I don't remember him," Ume said, "I don't know what else to do for him."

Nanami led her into the classroom and let her sit in Tomoe's seat. Ume looked around at the students chatting, laughing, or sitting quietly on their phones. The sound of squealing girls drew her attention as the door slammed open.

"Kurama!" the girls cried.

"Kurama?" Ume repeated, looking at Nanami.

"He's a popstar with a huge ego," Nanami said, "Don't let him get away with being a jerk."

"Okay," Ume said, feeling slightly anxious in the school setting. She wouldn't have been concerned about handling an egotistical or rude person anywhere else, but here in this setting, she felt unexplainably nervous. She was out of her element and she knew it, just by seeing how well Kurama melded into the crowd.

"How are you Nanami? No fox in sight. Who is this?" Kurama asked as he approached Nanami and Ume.

"This is Ume," Nanami said.

"Hearth and Home God, hmm? Interesting," Kurama said, sitting backwards in his chair to make eyes contact with Ume.

"I am. What are you?" Ume asked.

"I'm a fallen angel," Kurama said.

"Pfft," Nanami laughed, "He's a crow tengu."

Kurama shot Nanami a slight glare before turning to Ume, "So what brings you here?"

"I've never been to a school before, so Nanami offered to bring me. I thought it might give me more insight into a young man and young woman's world," Ume said.

"You've never been to school?" Kurama asked, "Why is that? How old are you?"

"That's rude Kurama," Nanami said.