CHAPTER EIGHT, the one with the bonfire night

(the picture above is the charm bracelet nova always wears)

Nova stood beside her brother in their father's hospital room. "Alright, Mr. Stilinski." The doctor starts to say as he looks at the clipboard he held.

"Sherriff." Stiles corrected him.

The doctor nods. "Sherriff Stilinski." He looks at Noah after looking at his clipboard. "I've got you scheduled for surgery first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, it's going to take a little digging to get that slug out of your shoulder."

"Yeah, it's fine." Noah replied as he signed a form. Before the doctor left, he gestured the doctor over, needing help with one of the question. Nova and Stiles move out of the way so the doctor could stand by the bed.

"What's this one here?" Noah asked, pointing at a question on the form.

"Patient responsibility." The doctor responds. "Parts of the procedure and hospital stay not covered by insurance."

"Are those big parts?" Noah questions. "Expensive parts?"

The doctor shakes his head. "That's between you and your insurance unfortunately. You should start feeling the morphine in a minute. Try to get some rest, Mr..." He then corrects himself. "Sherriff." He sent a smile at the nervous looking siblings before he left the room.

Stiles bounced on the heels of his foot anxiously, biting on his nails as Nova fiddled with the charm bracelet she always wore. The charm bracelet had stars and moons on it and it was the color silver. The charm bracelet meant a lot to her because it was given to her by her mother. Even though her mother bought it, Stiles was the one who picked it out for her. Stiles had picked out the stars and moons on it because of Nova's name meaning star.

"Hey," Noah speaks, noticing his anxious kid's antics. He shakes his head. "Both of you, stop that." Stiles stops biting his nails, crossing his arms while Nova stops messing with her charm bracelet, folding her hands in front of her. The siblings looks at Noah speaks. "I was just curious about the terminology. We're not in any kind of dire straits."

"I know about the bills, dad." Stiles said. Nova looks at him with confusion, not having any clue what he was talking about. He sighs. "I know about the collectors calling about Eichen House. I know about the advance from the department, about the cards."

"Stiles," Noah furrows his eyebrows. "Are you going through my stuff?"

"Yeah," Stiles shrugs. "I go through all of your stuff. Espeically when you keep things from me and Nova."

"I keep things from you two because you guys don't need to know everything." Noah told him.

Nova bites her lower lip, continuing to stay silent as she fiddled with her charm bracelet. This conversation was getting intense and she was starting to feel like maybe she needed to leave the room so it was just Stiles and their dad since the conversation didn't include her. After deciding what to do, she leaves the room, going out into the hallway. She lets out a sigh and leans against the wall. She knew that their family have been having money troubles and she just wished there was something she could do to help.