4 The Lucky End of a Horse

Natasha awoke feeling annoyed as she always did no matter the day before or the day about to unfold. As she stretched and rubbed her eyes, she felt the unfamiliar weight of the new ring on her finger and remembered she was the happiest woman in the world. Engaged at last! And a fortune cookie story forever! (For however long forever was now anyway.) Sure it was done-before corny, but nobody could make corny as sexy as Rodney.

Now all she wanted to do was kiss him awake but she was sure he had to work the later shift. She fanned and posed her ring hand but waving her arm threatened to wake Rodney too. She wanted to tell somebody. None of her friends would be up this early, but DeeDee might.

She snuck out into the living room and dialed her sister's number.

"Hello?" DeeDee answered, or something like it. She had obviously been sleeping, but what was done was done.

"Guten morgen sibling!"

"Ugh, what's up and why is it you?" she slurred groggily.

Natasha chickened out immediately. She knew DeeDee would be happy for her. She knew she'd champion her cause with their parents, but she also knew her sister could not keep secrets from their mother and the two would be spending the whole day together. A narc can only have so many loyalties.

"I have to be up to get to the airport and play chauffer to Maya Adler remember? I just thought I'd make sure you were up for your Real Housewives lunch thing."

"It's for the hospital and lunch means noon, so I'm hanging up now. Love you, bye."

"Love you too," Natasha managed before the bleep of disconnection meant her secret was still safe.

Rodney called her name from the bedroom. She answered by running back to the room and jumping on top of him. "Good morning!"

He pulled her down for a kiss, but Natasha resisted his attempts at more with a firm hand. "I've got to get ready," she said. "Remind me, will I see you tonight? I feel so distracted today."

"Wonder why?" Rodney mused, lacing his fingers with those of her ring's hand and bringing it to his lips to kiss it. "I'm two to two tonight, so I guess not."

"You're still coming with me to the Train Launch Gala on Sunday?"

"Yes, and as per the restraining order, staying twenty feet away from you and your family at all times."

"I don't even know if any of them are coming yet."

"Well, don't leave it till the last minute to let me know if I need a disguise," he said a touch sharply.

"Come on," Natasha sighed.

"Who was on the phone?"

"DeeDee."

"Did you tell her?"

"Not yet."

"Are you going to tell any of them or do I just rent the apartment next door and stop by from time to time to borrow your sugar?"

"It's an idea," she said.

"You're the most brutally honest person I know. Why should your parents get off scot-free?"

"You just can't wait to see Dad's face, can you?"

"I'm not the one who hates him. I think he's hilarious!"

"He doesn't hate you. He's actually pretty fond of you, only..."

"Only I'm a working stiff with a boatload of debt."

"As an investment in your future."

"I'm not rich enough or affiliated enough or inbred enough. I get it."