Chapter 3

"We are landing at Fyre in five minutes," said Astryn.

"Here we go again," said Alyssa.

The Clandestine descended in the yard outside the deserted castle of Fyre. Astryn ran out first, followed by Alyssa and Gryff.

"Okay, based on the direction in which Eloria was looking, they passed the west side of the castle," said Astryn. When Alyssa stared at her, she said, "What? It's my castle now."

"Follow me," said Gryff. He took out his sword and headed to the west side of the castle. Alyssa and Astryn followed, swords unsheathed.

"You know, it'd be really nice if you renovated the castle," said Alyssa.

"I was planning to, after the wedding," said Astryn.

"Quiet, you both," said Gryff.

Some time later, they came upon the west side of Fyre. There was nothing there but sand and sandstone, the yellow and ochre color dominating the land. Above them, the hot midday sun burned through their skin.

"We need to dig under the sand," said Gryff. "Search for any clues that Eloria might have left."

Alyssa and Astryn started digging. "You know, he's become a little more bossier ever since he became the prince," said Astryn.

"And I'm married to him," sighed Alyssa.

"You know, I can hear you," said Gryff. "So stop talking and start digging."

After a while, Alyssa hit something metal. "I found something," she shouted. Gryff and Astryn ran towards her.

"It's one of those black metal things we found back when we were looking for Lady Sinara here," said Alyssa.

"What?" said Gryff.

"A projector?" said Astryn.

"Yes, a projector," said Alyssa. "The one Trisley used to project herself to trick us."

"Turn it on," said Astryn.

"That's the problem," said Alyssa. "I don't know how. Eloria turned the device on and off, but I don't know how she did it."

"Wait, these were manufactured by Lovelake, right?" said Gryff.

"Yes," said Alyssa. "This was the proof that Lovelake was a traitor to the Uprising."

Gryff bent down, and took the projector from Alyssa. He touched the bottom, and found what he was looking for.

"There we go," he said. He flicked a switch, and the projector hummed to life.

The figure of Trisley took shape before them.

"What a surprise," said Trisley.

"This can't be," said Gryff.

"I once made that same mistake too," said Trisley.

Finally, Alyssa realized what was happening. "This is a past recording," she said. "This must be that same projector that Trisley used back when we were here for Astryn's mother."

"Why would Eloria leave it buried in the sand?" asked Astryn.

"Maybe she didn't leave it," said Alyssa. "We might have just dug upon this. Maybe it wasn't used since we last came here."

"I found it," said Gryff. He pushed a button below the projector, and Trisley's image disappeared. After some time, Eloria's image took shape.

"So this was a sign," said Alyssa.

Eloria looked about, and then looked directly at them. "It's him," she said. "He caught us right when we were leaving Blizzard. It's him," said Eloria.

"Who is it?" said Astryn.

"He demanded to know where Corlys was," said Eloria. "Vaelor tried convincing him he was dead, but he wouldn't believe it. He knocked out Vaelor."

"Corlys?" said Gryff. "Why does he want Corlys?"

"Who is this 'he'?" said Alyssa.

"He's taking us south," said Eloria. "I tried looking for you here at Fyre, Astryn, but you weren't here. You must still be at the wedding."

"South? South of Fyre?" said Astryn.

"He keeps wanting the location of Corlys," said Eloria. "He says he knows Corlys is alive, that he has - evolved," she added.

"Evolved?" said Alyssa.

"Who abducted you, Eloria?" said Gryff.

Eloria took a breath. "It was the Devil," she said. "The Devil of Heirson."

And then the image slowly faded away.