Chapter 6

"How can we even see where Hywell is without your power?" asked Astryn.

"Eloria and Vaelor are still with him," said Alyssa. "If we can track them, we can track Hywell too."

"I have seen Eloria's location many times," said Lady Lara. "They still seem to be traveling across water."

"I might have a location," said Gryff.

"Good morning, Prince Gryff of Qis," said Astryn, dryly. "Congratulations on speaking your first words."

"I'm serious," said Gryff. "What if they're going to Kast?"

"Didn't we destroy the dungeon at Kast?" said Alyssa.

"We did, and we assumed Hywell to go down with it," said Astryn. "But he's alive, so there must be some way he survived."

"There has to be some sort of hidden compartments," said Gryff.

"You were stationed at the dungeon, Gryff," said Alyssa. "You should know the schematics of the dungeon."

"Hywell trusts no one, not even me," said Gryff. "And I was stationed under him. He was literally the owner of the dungeon."

"It looks like you have somewhere to search," said Lady Lara.

"Kast? I'm not going back there ever again," said Astryn.

"You can stay here," said Alyssa. "I will take Gryff and fly to Kast on the Clandestine. You stay here with Lady Lara and continue searching for clues. If we need any help, we'll tell you."

"Tell me how?" asked Astryn.

Alyssa smiled, and took out two round-shaped devices. "Comms," she said. She handed one to Astryn.

"Wear that," said Alyssa. "That's how we will tell you if we need any help."

"Fine," sighed Astryn. "I get to miss out on all the action again."

~

"Where are we?" shouted Eloria.

No response came, except for her own voice echoing over the vast stone walls.

Eloria tried to get up, but couldn't. She tugged at the shackles on her feet, but they wouldn't bulge.

"Vaelor?" she whispered.

"Yes, hello," replied Vaelor. "I've already figured out where we are, while you were asleep."

"Where are we, then?" said Eloria.

"Kast," said Vaelor. "We're in one of its dungeons."

"Kast?" asked Eloria. "I thought we blew up this place."

"We blew up a dungeon, not the whole place, idiot," said Vaelor. "We're being held by someone in one of the other dungeons."

"Hywell Heirson," said Eloria. "That's the one who's holding us captive."

"Wait, Hywell is alive?" said Vaelor.

"Yes, I saw him, while you were unconscious," said Eloria. "He asked me whether I knew where Corlys was. When I said he was dead, Hywell just replied that he had evolved."

"Corlys is alive?" said Vaelor. "Why are so many dead people coming back to life?"

"But Hywell didn't die," said Eloria. "He must have escaped the debris somehow. His FloatBoat also survived, which he used to carry us here."

"FloatBoat over the desert?" said Vaelor. "That's unlikely."

"Firstly, we were on some kind of animal in the desert, not the FloatBoat," said Eloria. "Secondly, how did you know we passed the desert?"

"You have sand in your shoes, genius," said Vaelor.

"Oh," said Eloria. She looked down to see yellow sand falling out of her shoes.

"But that doesn't make sense," said Eloria. "We passed the desert more than three hours ago."

"This sand must have stuck with you," said Vaelor.

"No, the last time my feet touched sand was at Fyre, which was really long ago," said Eloria.

"That's strange," said Vaelor.

"Wait," said Eloria. "Why is the sand moving?"

"There's no air," said Vaelor, as Eloria took off her shoes.

Small grains of sand flew up in the air. Slowly, the sand formed a figure. The figure took shape in front of Eloria and Vaelor.

"Hey," said Corlys. "I'm going to get you both out of here."