Chapter 5

"I thought Hywell Heirson was dead," said Lady Lara.

"We thought so too," said Gryff. "But somehow, he returned."

"Do you know that for sure?" said Lady Lara.

Astryn took out the projector. "Eloria left this behind at Fyre," she said. "According to her, the Devil of Heirson abducted them and is taking them south of Fyre."

"That's not all," said Alyssa. "Eloria also mentioned something about Corlys having evolved."

"That's another person who I thought was dead," said Lady Lara.

"We thought so too," said Alyssa. "But that was before I saw Corlys at the battle of Qis."

"You saw him?" Lady Lara feigned surprise.

"But I thought he was dead," interrupted Astryn. "You told me yourself that Corlys was dead."

"Yes, because when I tried to search for him, all it showed was black," said Lady Lara. She silently moved her hands and cast a spell to prevent Corlys from materializing suddenly.

"And black means either he has the ability to block your powers, or he is dead," said Astryn.

"We think that Corlys may have learned to block your powers," said Gryff. "I know this sounds sketchy, but that could give an explanation to Corlys's evolution."

"Block the Crimson Enchantress's powers," Astryn scoffed.

"We are here to ask you to search for Hywell Heirson," said Gryff.

"I can do that," said Lady Lara.

"Wait, is that tea?" said Alyssa. She picked up a half-filled cup lying on the table.

"Why is there a table inside the castle?" said Gryff.

"That's right," said Astryn. "Last time we were here, there was no table."

"I was trying to make a dining hall," lied Lady Lara. "I moved this table and others here so that my men could get more space to build."

"Okay," said Alyssa. "Now show us Hywell."

Lady Lara stood and walked to a wall. "Hywell Heirson," she whispered.

The black stone disappeared into a white screen. Even as the group watched, the black color slowly returned to the screen and covered it completely.

"Black?" said Alyssa.

"But he can't be dead," said Astryn. "Eloria mentioned him as her kidnapper."

"Maybe Eloria has got the wrong man," said Lady Lara, trying to hide the anxiety rising in her.

"I don't think so," said Gryff. "Search for Eloria."

"As you say, my Prince," said Lady Lara. "Eloria Deepwater," she said softly.

The black returned to white once again, and this time Alyssa and the others saw blue. Eloria was in a water body.

"Is that a boat?" asked Astryn.

"Seems so," said Gryff. "How can they cross the sea without- oh," he finished.

Eloria had looked down, and below her was a wide red surface.

"That's a FloatBoat," said Alyssa.

"The only other person who knew of the FloatBoats other than Gyros Deepwater and Trisley was Hywell," said Gryff.

"How is that FloatBoat fitting three people easily?" said Astryn. "Last time I was on a FloatBoat, I had an unpleasant sight of someone falling off due to the thinness of the FloatBoat."

"That was my FloatBoat," said Gryff. "It was meant for only me to ride. Hywell's was wider."

"This just confirms Hywell's survival," said Alyssa.

"But why did it show black?" said Astryn.

All heads turned to Lady Lara, who said, "We have to be sure that it really is Hywell."

"What if it is?" said Gryff. "Does that mean Hywell has evolved too?"

"We have no plausible theory of someone evolving," protested Lady Lara.

"But Corlys did evolve," said Alyssa. "That's why for Corlys it showed black."

"And how can you be so sure that it is Corlys?" said Lady Lara.

"Because it is," said Alyssa. "I'm certain it was him at that battle. Also, Trisley recognized Corlys when he appeared. I heard her say "you" before Corlys killed her."

"We need your help in solving this mystery and finding Eloria and Vaelor," said Gryff.

"You could be of great help to us," said Astryn.

Lady Lara sighed. "Alright," she said. "Hywell first."