Chapter IV - Mikey's First Day

It is now the day before Mikey's first day of school. On the same day, (Y/n) and Takemichi would have to fill on the last of the registration papers and an interview, but it's nothing that either one of the two were necessarily worried about. It was a regular public school that didn't care much on a parent's social status or reputation. If anything, the only thing that (Y/n) was worried about is whether or not Mikey would fit in.

"I'm sorry to cause you trouble, Hiro." (Y/n) gestures out a folded paper at her husband. "But could you pick up a few clothes that I ordered for Mikey? They're already paid for, so all you have to do is show this receipt." Takemichi accepts the item. "I got called into work at the very last minute unfortunately, so if it's not too much to ask..."

"Not at all." Takemichi exchanges a kind smile. "You can count on me to get it done." He sheepishly chuckles. "It's the least I can do. You do most of the housework here."

"You being here for Mikey is plenty enough." (Y/n) says rather quietly, as though she didn't want Takemichi to hear. "Anyway, I might come back home late, so you can go ahead and get delivery for dinner." She retrieves a long brown jacket from the kitchen counter, and Mikey hurries to her so that she can give her the fedora that she tends to wear with it. "Don't wait up, okay?"

"Okay." Takemichi nods in obligation.

Mikey waves his mother a goodbye. "Have a knees day." Neither Takemichi, nor (Y/n) correct him on his pronunciation.

Once (Y/n) leaves the apartment, Mikey faces Takemichi. "Papa!" He earns his attention on the first go. "Can I go with you?"

Takemichi doesn't have the heart to say otherwise. "Of course." Mikey happily cheers in celebration, to which puts a wider smile on the older male's face.

~•~

Takemichi succeeds in picking up the clothes that (Y/n) had ordered in advanced, holding them in bags that he carries in one hand, while the other is interlocked with one of Mikey's. He relishes the excitement that Mikey portrays out into the open, scatting a few beats that he comes up with on the spot.

"Why don't we stop by at the park?" Takemichi suggests. "There's a playground that you could plat at."

"Yeah!" Mikey replies, almost immediately.

The second that Mikey sees the playground, he runs on ahead, going to the swings first. Takemichi just stays standing, keeping his distance from the overwhelming amount of kids that were already playing within the area.

'He's so energetic and positive...' Takemichi notes. 'It's so strange that he's kind of different from (Y/n), who's rather quiet and perceptive...then again, she could've been that way once, too..' He watches Mikey laugh with such joy as he swings forward and back. 'From what I can remember from my childhood...I was always picking fights to prove that I was the top delinquent...but I sucked so bad, and cried almost constantly, all beat up...'

"My, your son's adorable." Takemichi follows his gaze to the direction that the voice came from, a couple of women that were accompanied by children. "He looks so happy going on that swing."

"Yes..." Takemichi talks in a timid voice, unsure of whether to correct them or not. In the end, he doesn't say anything, and avoids eye contact.

It's moments like these, where there's people that actually assume that Mikey is Takemichi's son, that gets Takemichi thinking...can he really call him his father, when he shows little to no qualities that are of a parental figure in general?

Surely, it's only been a month since (Y/n) and Takemichi had made the compromise and legal marriage, but the mafia boss feels as though he should put more into the table. Deep down, he feels guilty for making (Y/n) do most of the housework and cooking. He had a mom of his own earlier in the years, and all that he can remember is how often she worked around the house, to which leads to a constant series of scoldings and nagging whenever he wasn't of any contribution.