Chapter V - Are You Mad At Me?

Mikey is now sitting in between his parents, his head faced down as he wears a nervous look. Koharu, his new principal, would take it upon herself to address the matter of this conversation she was going to have with (Y/n) and Takemichi.

"He got into a fight?" (Y/n)'s face turns pale. "With a classmate?" Takemichi's reaction was no different.

Koharu wears a sheepish smile. "I'm afraid so." She steals a glance at the little boy that has yet to make eye contact with her. "According to Mr. Inui and a student, Keisuke Baji, Manjiro was being taunted by his classmate, Ken Ryugui." (Y/n) and Takemichi both glance down at Mikey. "Manjiro simply reacted on an impulse and punched Ryugui not long after."

(Y/n) can understand where Mikey was coming from, but she didn't think he would resort to violence. Shortly after, she assumes that he might've picked up a few things from his favorite show, maybe even her, too. "Maybe you've been watching too much of that show of yours..." She exhales deeply and pinches the bridge of her nose. "Or maybe it was my fault for being a little reckless, too...I'm so sorry Principal—"

"No." Takemichi speaks up. "It was most likely my fault." (Y/n) blinks and jerks her head to her husband, stunned. "I thought that if I trained Mikey, he could protect himself..." He sheepishly rubs the back of his neck. "But I guess it was on my part for failing to teach him properly about integrity and discipline..." He blushes slightly and performs a bow to the principal. "I'm sorry. I'm entirely responsible for his behavior."

Mikey finally looks up, his eyes on Takemichi. "Papa..."

(Y/n)'s eyes softens at the sincerity that Takemichi was portraying, well aware that this fight wasn't his fault whatsoever. "Hiro..." The fact alone that he was willing to accept the consequences, instead of Mikey, was admirable to her.

Koharu shakes her head, pleased to see how honest and responsible the two adults were. "The first day will always be hard on some kids. Manjiro is just one of the many, surely. And with parents such as you two, I'm sure it won't happen again. Call this a warning, rather than a strike." She cocks her head to the side and sends a smile at Mikey. "You're free to go back home early if you like, Manjiro."

Mikey wanted to be considerate of how his parents would feel. "Well..." He returns his eyes to his lap.

"We'll do just that." (Y/n) holds one of Mikey's shoulders. "Thank you for being so understanding, ma'am." She and Takemichi bow at the same time, before they would take their leave.

Mikey can only hope that he doesn't get a scolding or two from his parents. Especially his mom.

~•~

Mikey, Takemichi, and (Y/n) sit at the empty dining table. While the parents sit next to each other, the only son sits across from them. There's a devastating silence between them, since the second that they returned to the apartment.

Mikey fiddles with his fingers on his lap, not having the heart to look at the death glare that he knew (Y/n) was directing at him. He could feel a few beads of sweat forming on the corners of his face.

(Y/n)'s eyes narrow, her gaze kept on Mikey. "From this moment on, no more training." Her son and husband gasp at the declaration, taken aback. "Even if you had good intentions in punching that boy, you shouldn't have resorted to violence so soon; Hiro's right. You haven't learned the concept of discipline and integrity at all." Takemichi's frown deepens at the reasoning. "So until you do learn, no more training."

"But how am I going to protect myself?" Mikey debates, not hesitating to convince her mom into reconsidering the punishment. "From bullies or thieves? What if Ryugui tries to bully me again?"