2. one last time

El heard the bell ring and that's when she decided it was time to get out of that bathroom. She made her way past everyone standing around in the hallway, finally reaching her locker. El unlocked it taking her a couple of tries but then slammed her science notebook down inside it. She took a notice at her appearance in a purple plastic mirror hanging on the locker door.

Crap! I forgot to take my mascara off!! She thought as she looked intensely in her little mirror. El started wiping under her eyes when she was interrupted.

"El, guess what I- holy shit! What happened??! Max exclaimed, noticing her friend's puffy and red eyes. "My ex happened." she smirked sadly with a mournful look in her eyes, taking notice of what she had just called him.

"You have an ex that goes here?! What they do to - Max... Mike." the girl sorrowly mentioned cutting her friend off.

"Wait. You and Mike broke up? How did-why would he even do that?!! That little shit! El I promise you, I'll give him a piece of my mind, just watch." her fiery friend declared.

"No Max, please... don't. It's fine, I guess." El muttered.

No. Nothing about this is 'fine.'

"It's fine I guess? Really El??! This is the same guy who you talk about every single day and do everything with him. How could any of this possibly be fine??" Max scoffed.

"It's not fine Max! I know it's not fine. What else am I supposed to say to him?? He broke up with ME alright! I don't think there is much left to say. I just have to face it. He's lost interest and I'm not good enough anymore for him." the girl snapped while raging out, finally hearing the hard cold truth.

El slammed her locker and walked away turning the corner.

Her redhead friend was left standing in shock. How could Mike do this to El? How could he possibly?? He doesn't skip a day to tell the party how perfect she is, Max thought outraged. She needed to know more about the whole situation. The redhead dropped her skateboard and rounded the corner seeing El up ahead gripping her lunch bag a bit more than was needed.

"El, El wait up! Max yelled through the hallway. "What else happened, I mean like, what else did he say? she asked.

"Why don't you just come over after school? I just - just don't really feel like explaining it here. By the way, sorry for slamming my locker in your face and leaving you there by yourself, that was a childish thing of me to do."

"Of course. It's all good, I understand!" Max said with an understanding smile.

They continued walking but not without taking another break for more questioning.

"Soooo, where you headed since I doubt you're going to sit in the cafeteria. Wait, but what if you sit with me at another table?" Max asked patiently awaiting a response.

"No, I'm good. I don't wanna risk making eye contact or anything with um... with him- I'm headed to Mrs. Smith's classroom. She usually lets students go in to work on projects and homework so, I'm sure I'll be good to eat lunch there.
Wanna join me? El suggested, seeing that Max too had her lunch bag and desperately needed her best friend to accompany her. "UH DUH! I'm not tryna sit with the boys all by myself! Especially not with that little shit." Max exclaimed, getting a half laugh from the girl.

A half-laugh was better than no laugh and a death state, so Max was good with what she got out of it.

"El? How do you plan to "NOT" run into Mike at all now? She asked, doing quotation marks with her hands. All his classes are literally like the door right next to yours." Max stated.

"I know but... I don't know. I'll have to figure that one out." El noted, unsure about her whole plan. "But I do know the day can't possibly get worse." she said with a smile that met her best friends.