Chapter 30

Liam fumbles with his hands as I wait for him to speak, he said he wanted to talk before I got out of the car, yet he hasn't said anything.

"What did you want-"

"I'm getting there," he snaps cutting me off. His agitated start is telling me that this won't be good. "We need to just, take a few days apart." he breathes and I try to contain my hysteria.

"Because that's worked in the past?" I joke and unbuckle my seat belt. I have to work tomorrow and it's already so late.

"I'm serious, Emily." he glares at me, his jaw clenching. I understand that he is trying to be serious but there have been times when I said we needed to be apart and he ignored that, so what would make this time any different?

"Where is this coming from?" I ask dropping my eyes to his hands that are now firmly situated on the steering wheel, his knuckles are beginning to turn white.

"It didn't come from anywhere, we spend too much time together and we aren't dating. It looks bad." he states starting his car. I have no response as all the words have been ripped from my body. With an exasperated and tired sigh I admit defeat and get out of the car. If this is how he wants to end the night, after abandoning me in a nightclub, then so be it. I'm not going to fight with him to change it.

"Emily!" I hear and turn around quickly with hopes he might've changed his mind. "I'll see you Thursday. I promise." he shouts through the opened passenger window. I muster a smile and continue to walk to the house, pulling the hidden key from the fake rock next to the door since I forgot my own set of house keys.

I don't want to over think anything that he just said. I already knew we weren't dating, I honestly don't know what we are doing but definitely not in a relationship. I just wish I knew what spurred this, why he made this decision. It shouldn't be too difficult, Thursday is only a few days away and I'll have some distractions with work and school. Now that I'm thinking about school I actually have that project that I can work on even though it still isn't due for another week. Procrastination has never really been my thing, I have so much free time that it's never been an option. It's either be bored or do your homework, the choice always just seems so clear but since it's getting so late I definitely won't be starting it anymore tonight.

I should have started my project earlier instead of going to that worthless party. We weren't even there for five minutes despite how it felt like ten to me as I waited for someone who wasn't planning to return soon. I wonder if he knew they were going to be there. Probably not but you never truly know with Liam Payne, if there is one thing that's for sure it's that he is one of the most complicated people you will likely ever meet. I think that may be part of why I like him though, he is so unpredictable and spontaneous which just so happens to be one of my favorite things. It's the key to taking great photos, spontaneity.

I tuck the key back into it's hidden place after unlocking the door. I flop down onto the sofa relaxed and relieved that I have returned home.

"Emily?" I jump upon hearing my father's voice and the light flickering on blinding me. "Where were you?" he exclaims walking over to me, concern clear on his face.

"Oh, um- Liam and I went to meet up with a few a few of his friends." I lie. It's not a full lie though, we saw his friends even though I think the encounter was an accident.

"And you are just now returning?" he snaps. I blink a few times, trying to understand why he is so mad. It's only nine-thirty.

"It's not even ten o'clock yet dad." I raise an eyebrow at him as I sit up straight on the sofa. "Is there something wrong?" I ask after he sighs and takes a seat next to me.