C12 - When the chips are down

One thing that Peter was glad about, was that he volunteered at a homeless shelter. It was something that helped him a lot in this situation. For one, he knew a lot of the homeless people in his area. It also helped that he knew what was easy to get and what he needed or could leave behind. Finally, it helped because it meant that he knew exactly all the things to look out for, where he was safe and which organizations could help him.

He was also glad for Spider-man. His suit was made for the cold nights outside and to be worn under clothing without being detected easily. Along with that, on patrol he regularly got thanks from New York's citizens in the form of food, gift baskets, and just general generosity where they let him take whatever he needed for free.

There were quite a few of those things laying in his old apartment. Those weren't necessities for now though. He needed to make sure he had the things that would allow him to survive until he could find a place to hunker down and make a new home. He had more options than most being Spider-man, but for now, he had no clue where he should go. That is why his bag contained some clothes, his suit, all the money he had, and a list of places to sleep, eat, get internet, and similar things. He also brought a few bottles of water and whatever snacks he could find.

With that, he went to school, along with his school bag. As soon as he gets to school, he stuffs the bag in his locker, glad Ned isn't there yet. If anyone asked, he'd have said that he was having a sleepover at Ned's house. However, that wouldn't work with Ned, as it was a lie.

He didn't know where his path would lead, but he did know it would include Spider-man. The foster care system was not built for vigilante teenagers with spider powers. If that meant his new home was the streets, then so be it. He was Spider-man, he could hide an entire secret identity. Surely he could hide the fact that he wasn't with a foster family from Ned. His best friend. Who he has known for years. With who he shares everything. Shit.

Or from MJ. Who figured out he was Spider-man. Who is so observant they know your exact facial features if they had drawn you. Who could figure out your exact shampoo if they sat close to you the day you had washed your hair. Damn.

But he couldn't. He just couldn't burden them with that fact, they were already worried enough as it is. They would probably offer him a spot at their house, a spot that there isn't is. But they wouldn't mention it. It wasn't the right thing. He could do this. He just had to live three lives now. Spider-man, homeless Peter, and normal Peter. Keep up his grades, patrol, and hide from CPS. Easy peasy.

---

MJ was very observant. They entered the classroom, went to take their seat next to Peter, and immediately said something that he hadn't even noticed in the 10 minutes he had been sitting there already. "Flash looks like he hasn't washed or seen a mirror in three days."

"Hello to you too. You are later than usual." He countered while peering over to where Flash was sitting, indeed looking a little disheveled.

MJ raised their eyebrow. "You are earlier than normal. Especially since you are now living further away." Shit, this wasn't the way he wanted to change the topic of conversation.

"I mean yeah. Flash isn't looking as well-groomed as usual. Maybe the butler had a day off or something. The store ran out of his usual wax. Or he was just late for school and his parents said it would ruin their reputation if they had to go to school again if he was reprimanded." He said. MJ just looked him up and down and turned their attention to sketching Flash.

Classes went by quite fast. He saw Ned after the second period. He apparently missed the first period as he had to go to the dentist and didn't have the same class for the second period. Peter was happy about that, his nerves from having a go-bag in his locker had calmed down a little by then. They had Physics together before heading to the cafeteria for lunch. He grabbed his school lunch and happily accepted the little container Ned handed him filled with sisig.