C13 - Reflection

TW: disordered eating, dysphoria attack (summary of the marked sections in end notes. Rest of chapter can be read without reading these sections)

Ned and MJ weren't stupid. Ned had known his best friend for over a decade. MJ was a pro at analysing people, and Peter was their favourite person to analyse. They knew he was acting strange. They just didn't know what it was. This combined with Flash' behaviour, meant that they had plenty of things to analyse.

"Why wouldn't he tell us what is going on?" Ned asked MJ.

MJ shrugged. "Did he tell you he was Spider-man as soon as it happened?"

"No, I had to find out by accident."

"Well there you have your answer. Well, your explanation actually. He didn't before and won't now. Because of whatever scenario he has in his head that he has convinced himself is the reason he can't tell us." They sighed.

"You're right. Guess it will take some probing." Ned leaned back in his seat.

With an eyeroll MJ responded "Not probing. Asking. He is a terrible liar and if we start by probing, he will get more closed off and find elaborate ways out of telling us the truth. We need to confront him and whether he tells the truth or not, his response will be our answer.

Ned groaned. "Why must you be right. I hate that we are going to have to abuse his... weaknesses like that."

"It's his fault for not telling us."

"When do you want to confront him"

- TW Disordered Eating -

MJ stops to think. Ned stops next to them. "Let's ask him at lunch. Food calms him down. I brought extra for him, and you always do too so he will at least have enough to eat today."

"Do you think this is a Spider thing that he doesn't eat enough or..."

"I don't know. But what I do know is that he isn't eating enough, freaky fast metabolism or not. I am estimating about two meals a day, on school days." MJ said it with their usual nonchalance but they couldn't keep the worried frown from creeping onto their face.

Ned was just about to say something when MJ elbowed him. "He's coming."

"Hey guys! What's up?" Peter said. The exhaustion was rolling off of him in waves. This wasn't I am not sleeping enough exhaustion, Peter was used to that. Oddly enough it was usually invigorating to him, sleep deprivation. This exhaustion, was not the same. This was the exhaustion that he usually had when he was depressed. The weight of the world was becoming too much for his shoulders and he was only adding more to it.

Ned and MJ both knew that the worsening depression was coming, they just didn't know how to deal with it. This combined with whatever was going on right now, him accepting help was going to be even harder to accomplish. They just needed to hope that they could convince him in time.

A few periods passed by, until it was finally lunch. Ned was glad that it was lunch because he was anxiously anticipating the result of their confrontation with Peter. It was hard looking at him, talking to him throughout their periods together without alerting him of what was coming at lunch.
It was a surprise that Peter hadn't noticed it yet but as soon as they sat down and Ned thrust his extra lunch box at Peter, Peter knew something was up. Ned was fidgeting and generally restless. MJ was looking at him directly, not like usually talking to him while reading a book or sketching or whatever else they did while in social situations.

Only one thought came to Peter's mind. They know. Peter started looking around at the exits. Maybe he could even go out through the window on the roof. I mean if the secret about his homelessness came out than what did Spider-man matter. His life would be ruined either way. Or his identity, the front he put up whatever. At least as Spider-man he could get resources easier.