Morning extra 1: A letter from the inner mind

The first of three-morning stories from 2021

Prompt: write a letter from your mind to your body.

The dearest outer self, I'd like to introduce myself formally.

I'm the inner version of you, the part of you that lives inside your head.

I'm not always accurate, but I'm always happy to help you; I'm also glad to keep ourselves on our feet.

I love to remind you about breakfast in the morning and help you remember to sleep at night, although I'm pretty bad at it because we both agree to stay up late.

Also, I'm not too fond of our current sleeping position; maybe we should work on the bed after this discussion.

I know we both like to create new things, plan new activities and explore new topics, although I don't feel anything you can easily touch with your fingers.

Working with you is something that I genuinely enjoy; I'm the idea maker, and you're the creator.

So when we find new things and do them, I'm happy I've got you as my teammate.

Sure, I make you second-guess things that I believe are wrong, but it improves our progress on the job, so it's more than worth it whenever I give you dopamine for working on something fully finished.

It's unfair that you view me as a fear machine because there's more to me than that.

We care for each other, so telling me to quiet down isn't helpful for the team.

I'll let you listen to what I've got to say, even if it's one-sided.

You don't like to eat, but I want to eat more; I'd like to gain more weight for our diet despite your fear of being full.

Some things are dangerous that you don't typically think about, so I fear everything despite your plead to be fearless.

I don't always control what I say to you; this sometimes causes a mistake; some of these mistakes are more damaging than others; these become fears.

I hope to help you with a safe yet eventful life; I like to be listened to, even when I'm too much.

You're also not alone in wanting to take control of our life; I do that too.

There's hopefully a solution that works for the pair of us.

Lastly, I'm sorry about what happened in the past, the suffering, and the fact that you hate me talking about this topic when you've got nothing better to do.

But deep down, I fear that it'll happen to us again.

If I felt there wasn't a reason to bring up this topic, I wouldn't discuss it; but there's nobody better than the person it's about, right?

I know that somebody else might be able to help, but they could also hurt us, so what's the point of bringing another problem to a prexisting threat.

Besides, you think about the same things I do, so why can't it be about the past?

I won't say that we love each other because we don't, but there's more than hatred for each other.

I strive to improve, and this message has reached you, the outer body.

Sincerely, your inner self.