Chapter Two

FatePaw had always been destined to the stars. When he was born, the deceased medicine cat had received a prophecy about him and his brother. If you ask me, it all sounds very silly. FatePaw thought, shaking his head.

     Why follow a prophecy that turned the clan against a clanmate? FatePaw knew better to ask though. FinShadow would claw his fur off! Still, he wondered. Ever since his birth, warriors had treated FatePaw with respect. Everyone. They always made sure he'd been comfortable, often attempted to bring him offerings and there had even been a argument that medicine cats should have a chance to become leader!

     They also expected him to kill his brother, some day. Uneasiness pricked his pelt, sparking his fur. I don't want to kill my brother... And yet, everyone expected him too. They treated him like he had done so already!

     He shook his head again, heaving a sigh. The heavy scent of rain filled his scent glands, and he couldn't resist the urge to look outside. The sky was dark, and rain poured down at a steady beat against the floor. A bright light suddenly flashed, followed by the clash of thunder? FatePaw jumped, startled. He then shook his head, musing. He needed to get back to work!

    The young tom was sorting herbs, arranging dock leave inside the top crevice. His nose wrinkled at the foul taste, and he quickly spat them into their holding area. Yuck! His muzzle curled in disdain, and he sorted the herbs some more. At least I don't have to stand out in the rain. He fur bristled as thunder struck again and he leapt. Fear plummed him and he quickly dashed to the corners of his den.

     Guilt edged his whiskers. What kind of medicine cat was he? A coward? Medicine cats aren't meant to be cowards. Not like me. He needed to get over his stupid fear if he wanted to help his clan. A snarl broken out from camp.

     FatePaw dashed out to see what the commotion could be about. His heart sunk. It was SandFur. And he was glaring at FallenPaw with hatred in his eyes. SandFur had never trusted FallenPaw, FatePaw realized. He had always shone some scorn towards FallenPaw, even when he was a kit. It was like he thought FallenPaw was a murderer already!

     FallenPaw seemed to shrink under the gaze of SandFur, tail drooping in the dirt. His eyes glittered with hurt, but shock to. His fur was ruffled, and his pupils darted around as if someone were going to leap at him and rip his throat out. Something must've happened at his patrol, FatePaw told himself. A tom only looked that frightened and angry after something eventful happened. And that something was most likely involved with SandFur.

     FatePaw knew with a sudden jolt that he had worried about his medicine duties so much that he hadn't even noticed FallenPaw leave for the patrol. Shame filled his heart. They had always said goodbye to each other before patrols! And I forgot... ThrushFur was already standing protectily close to FallenPaw, her gaze asking for a challenge. She stood tall, muzzle in the air as her tail lashed. Her eyes seemed to taunt SandFur silently.

  SandFur returned the look of concept, his tail brittle and still. He was clearly angry. FatePaws heart pounded so loud he was afraid the whole clan would hear It and turn over to look at him as though he'd sprouted wings. I am scared. Again. And it isn't even me who is getting glared at by a warrior. Discomfort at himself fringed his pelt, and FatePaw was sure it would burn.

     "Yes, I did! But why should I care for what happens to FallenPaw? He's a traitor!" SandFur yowled loudly, as if answering a question. Rage burned FatePaws fur, aswell as dismay. What had SandFur done? He noticed FallenPaw look over to FinShadow, eyes wide with hope, but FinShadow had no attempt of standing up for his son. FallenPaw stared at the ground as if he wanted it to swallow him whole. But then looked back up, gaze angry.