Chapter Three

The taste of herbs was still bitter. Letting out a disgusted spit, FallenPaw scrunched his nose, gagging. Yuck! I never want to eat herbs again! FallenPaw swallowed the herbs, shuddering as the bitterness grew stronger. FatePaw had given him herbs to ease his shock. Whatever it was, it certainly was not a fine meal for one so young. Memories of before shook FallenPaw. Then ground falling beneath him, his claws loosening as he tried to cling on. SandFur refusing to help, deciding that FallenPaw would be better off dead than alive, to protect the clan from mortal danger.

Shaking his head, started to clean himself, drawing his tongue across his orange and white tabby pelt. He felt eyes rest on him, and he stopped mid-stroke to see them across from him. FallenPaw rose to his paws, very much aware that a steady gaze followed him as he walked, eyes narrowed. It wasn't trust in that gaze, no. It wasn't even a trace of joy.

He shrunk back, his heart pounding as his hackles rose. Anger built up in him. Warriors had no right to not trust him! FallenPaw was loyal everyday! Could the clan possibly think he was a murderer? He hunted for them! He fought for them! He had almost died for them! The anger bubbled up to a steamy rage. The prick of anger was obvious in the gaze of his Clanmate, who was hidden by the shadows. Gathering up his courage, FallenPaw let out a hiss, his voice scathing.

"You don't trust me, eh?" He spat, "well...how about you come out and reveal who you are instead of hiding in the shadows like a coward!" His claws unsheathed. He could already picture raking his claws across the face of the arrogant warrior. No. Don't think that. They are your clanmate, even if they don't trust you. Yet, the anger did not bubble away. Instead, It grew larger. "Well? Come out!" He retorted. The cat did not move.

The cat was hidden underneath the ragged bush in the clearing, tail swaying. FallenPaw's words only made the shadowy warrior restrain their figure more-they drew back with a hiss and the eyes vanished. He had hidden himself away from FallenPaw! As if it's so bad to defend myself. FallenPaw thought sourly. He tensed and strode forward, so that his muzzle and face would stick into the bush. Eyes flashed reproachfully and FallenPaw recognized the gaze of SandFur. FallenPaw returned the gaze, his breath caught in his throat.

"FallenPaw," SandFur hissed. "Leave me alone, traitor."

FallenPaw stared at him with narrowed eyes. "No," he growled back. What was his problem? Why couldn't he have a slow paced, normal apprentice life? Why must every moment of his life be tormented by un-trust and hatred? And who was SandFur to call him a traitor? It sounded so..dumb!

FallenPaw hadn't meant it when he wished to claw SandFurs face off. He would never hurt his clanMates! No matter how much they hurt him...no matter how much almost every-cat seemed to approach him like a sour herb. A keening, rough growl bubbled up in his throat.

"I am not a traitor! I have been nothing but loyal!" He nastily spat, his claws digging back into the dirt. SandFur flicked his tail in disbelief.

"Yeah, that's not true," the warrior said brusquely, rounding up on FallenPaw with a scoff present on his face. FallenPaw drew back, his eyes intransigent. Steamy anger blistered in FallenPaw, as-well as a tang of sadness. SandFur was so quick to assume. oh? A vision from the stars? Evil! Murderer! Already totally evil!!!

At least DewPaw understood him. DewPaw was an apprentice and had more sense! FallenPaw dug his claws into the dirt. SandFur reared back, his eyes growing dramatically wide. He waved his tail, pointing at FallenPaws claws. FallenPaw watched with a bored expression, staring right into SandFur's eyes. SandFur opened his mouth to yowl a "warning", but as he did so, ThrushFur walked past. She added her stern stare to FallenPaw's, and SandFur faltered. Pride filled FallenPaw as SandFur walked off, stumbling as he did so.