Chapter Six

FallenPaw was hunched over his nest, eyes filled with a deep longness. He let his eyes close, his tail limp to his side. Deep pangs of sorrow pulsed him. Bile seemed to rise in his throat, as if a rock was building up in it. Tears filled his eyes, and he stared at his paw, which was trembling. A wave of dizziness hit him as he remembered the way FatePaw had looked at him.

A choked cry of distress coming out of his throat, he dug his claws in the moss. FatePaw had been scared. Scared of him. FatePaw's eyes had been wide with terror, his hackles had risen. His tail had been curved under himself, showing nervousness. And he had his jaw agape, unable to speak. Sort've like DewPaw's mother, he realized.

She always looked at DewPaw, her eyes wide, ears shot up, pelt fluffed up with shock, when DewPaw did something great. Like, the time he had been able to let the cats he was patrolling where and when ShadowClan had been in their territory, with a series of hisses, points of tail, and paw movements. DewPaw was strong.

And DewPaw was the only one who ever trusted him fully. DewPaw, and OwlStar. And...a few others. But most? They never truly did.

And FatePaw. Or... he thought. But now, he knew the truth. FatePaw had trusted him-but something had changed that. Had it been a prophecy? Did FatePaw trust StarClan more than him? He closed his eyes.

"FallenPaw?" ThrushFur stood at the entrance, peering her head in. She scrutinized her downcast apprentice, and seemed to determine that he was sad, and sad only. She headed in, the way thrumming softly behind her. She sat down by his nest, looking at him.

"Would you mind telling me what's bothering you?" She asked.

"Nothing's bothering me," he muttered, glowering.

"Something's clearly wrong, FallenPaw! You are hunched in your nest, looking like a mouse soaked in rain after a bad day! You are not okay, or you would be with DewPaw and smiling as if nothing ever bothered you, you mouse brain!" ThrushFur retorted, her tail lashing, brows ceased in worry. FallenPaw was surprised by the fierceness in her voice.

"I said, nothing is wr-

"I am not an idiot, FallenPaw! I have had kits before, remember?" A bit of anguish filled her tone, and she looked away, before whispering, "just tell me, alright? I can help you.." she whispered. FallenPaw realized she had not forgiven herself for not being able to help PuddleKit, with a stab of condolence. So, he spoke.

"alright...it is FatePaw," he mewed in a quiet, muted tone, his claws sheathing and unsheathing. ThrushFur looked confused. The sadness was replaced with concern.

"What happened with FatePaw?" She queried him, making sure to keep her tone soft and warm. FallenPaw explained what happened. The look, the quiet tone... ThrushFur listened, not daring to cut him off. Afterwards, she sat by him, resting her tail on his shoulder.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked him softly, as if he were her own kit. In some ways, she was like a mother. He loved her for that. He shook his head, he did not really want to talk about it. Now that he had let someone know, he felt a bit better. Perhaps he should do that more often. He lay his head back on his paws, and ThrushFur frowned, before smirking. She raised her eyebrows.

"So DewPaw, hmm?" She poked fun at him, her eyes scrunched up with amusement. FallenPaw stared in confusion, before coming to realization. His ears grew red and he nearly stumbled back in shock and embarrassment, his heart seeming too tingle. He reared back, a nervous grin crossing his face.

"W-what?" He exploded, sounding hot and embarrassed. "No! DewPaw is just a friend, I DO NOT have a crush on him, I!" he covered his paws over his eyes and groaned in embarrassment. ThrushFur let out a giggle.