Chapter 4

Emma was awoken by the sound of birds, chirping in front of her window. Stretching her arms above her head, she let out a tired yawn, feeling the dried saliva breaking on her skin in the corner of her mouth.

What a great way to start your morning.

Deciding to get up and start her day, Emma yawned one more time, before climbing out of her bed. Grabbing her robe, she listened carefully. It was way too quiet in the three-story house.

Curiously, she glanced at the clock on her nightstand, which to her surprise read 05:18.

"Are you kidding me?" rubbing her eyes, she wandered towards her huge windows, wanting to let some fresh air in.

Pulling her curtains apart, she sucked in a breath, seeing Poppy hanging the laundry in the garden.

Today, her raven hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, with a few clips holding back her baby hairs. The simple black maid dress was hugging her slender form, showing the curve of her back as she bent down, to pick up a pair of sheets.

As the fresh and cold morning air travelled down the mountains, the girl's nipples were visibly hardened under her apron.

Not to be creepy, Emma leaned against one of the window frames, half of her body disappearing, behind the curtain. That's how she watched, mesmerized by the girl's delicate movements.

Suddenly an idea struck her.

Eyeing the wooden table next to her wardrobe, she placed her writing machine on top of it, then with all her strength she pulled the desk in front of the windows.

Taking a seat, seeing that she still had some time until breakfast, she started to write.

~*~

A sudden knock was heard, making Emma jump in her seat. "Yes?" she asked hurriedly, her hand hiding the paper sheets.

"Miss Emma, I came to fetch you for breakfast. May I come in?" Poppy's angelic voice came from outside.

"Oh, yeah that's alright. A moment please." she quickly locked her work into one of the drawers.

"Take your time, Miss Emma." the maid said kindly, leaning against the wall patiently.

"You may come in now." came the lady's voice.

"Good morning, Miss Emma." Poppy bowed slightly, taking in their new family member. Walking toward the wardrobe, the maid grabbed two dresses. "What would it be today? Green or blue?" she held them up high in the air, so her new mistress could see both properly.

"I am feeling green today, Poppy." Emma sighed watching the girl's face, which had a faint ting of red to them. With a slight nod, she put the blue one back to its place.

Walking close to Emma, she motioned for her to raise her arms high.

Emma Armstrong never felt this hot before, as Poppy pulled her nightgown over her head, her freckled body on display in front of the shy maid.

But the embarrassment only stayed for a moment, as her undergarments were put on along with her dress.

"It's all done." Poppy smiled, placing the shoes onto Emma's feet. "Would you like me to braid your hair?"

"Yes, please." she took a seat in front of her dressing table.

The maid's slender fingers caressed her scalp sensually, making a twist here and there. Emma watched herself in the mirror, her freckles disappearing as she grew redder by every second.

She couldn't keep quiet.

"How old are you, Poppy?"

"18 ma'am." she whispered, the tip of her tongue poking through her closed lips in concentration.

"I am 20." Hearing this information, Poppy's eyes shot up from her work in awe. "But the young lady doesn't look older than 18 with a day."

"Well, it is, what it is..."

"Are you married yet, Miss Emma?" she finished the braid, and pulled it up into a bun.

"God, no. First my studies. Luckily my parents approve of it." she smiled gently, missing her parents dearly. Last night she kneeled by her bed, praying to God to save her family.

"I am sure they would survive the war, Miss Emma." a light pat on her shoulders, brought her back from the happy memories she had spent with her family.

"Come on, I am hungry." Emma stood up, secretly brushing a tear away, but Poppy got a gentle hold on her hand. "It will be alright, Miss."

"Where are your parents, Poppy?" she was curious, but seeing the saddened expression on her face, she wished she hadn't asked anything.

"I grew up as an orphan-" she tried to smile, but it was obvious, that the girl was miserable. "I am sorry." Emma whispered.

"It's okay. Miss Payne was so kind to take me in, when the orphanage kicked me out, I don't think I will ever be able to thank her enough." she smiled dreamily, her sorrowful thoughts disappearing in an instant.

'This woman was for sure an angel.' Emma thought in awe.

Viola definitely had a kind heart.

Hi there!  Don't forget to vote or comment if you liked this chapter! Thank you so much for reading!