Chapter Five

I peek from behind the curtain to see a multitude of people sitting in the audience. My father wasn't exaggerating when he said that this was sure to attract a crowd. I look at the faces in the front row, and I recognize them all. The world's most elite and wealthy. I wipe my palms on my black pants and straighten out my red blazer. This outfit isn't one I would've chosen for myself, but father wanted to make sure my appearance was exactly the way he envisioned.

I take a few steps back from the stage and close my eyes. I've memorized my speech and I know for a fact my program is going to work. I just hope my father didn't review it, or if he did, that he doesn't understand it. I made some slight changes to his request, but hopefully he'll never figure that out.

I look to my right and see my father, along with Dane, laughing with some people of notoriety. Their smiles make me sick to my stomach. I see them coming my way and gather my composure, this is supposed to be the biggest day of my life after all. I plaster a perfectly fake smile on my face as my father introduces me to someone.

The man is younger, can't be over 35, blonde, big glasses. I've never seen him before but surely I'm about to hear all about him. As they approach I notice the man look my body up and down with an almost predatory gaze. This should be a treat.

"This is my daughter, Adalyn. One of Hydra's biggest and brightest brains." My father stands beside me and wraps and arm around my shoulder. Dane stands on my other side, and the mystery man in front of me.

"What a pleasure it is." The man reaches for my hand and kisses the top of it. I suppress the sickening shivers that want to course through my body. Time to put on the show of a lifetime.

"Pleasure is all mine." I say, responding to him in English instead of my native language.

"What a lovely accent, Miss Averina. I look forward to our meeting later." The man looks over me once more before Dane escorts him elsewhere. My father quickly removes his arm from around me, and I look at him quizzically.

"That was Mr. Pierce. He will be our first contractor. Paid a pretty penny to be the first. After the demonstration, you are to meet in the asset's quarters. Make a contract with him, whatever he wants." My father says quietly so that others passing by can't hear. He leads me to the edge of the stage, which is hidden from the audience by thick curtains.

"Go out there and make me proud. Show them that Hydra has the answers to all their problems. Show them that I am at the forefront of the market. Show them how great of a leader I am." I nod my head quietly. As he finishes reminding me of my assignment, someone comes over and hooks us up to wireless microphones. My father's goes on first, and then mine. As my microphone is being hooked up, a man with a large camera quickly walks past us to get into his position.

Once connected, my father gives me one last look before I see the curtain rise and the spotlight focus on my father. I see the chair in the center of the stage. The audience erupts in applause as my father waves and smiles to them all. I see Mr. Pierce in the front row, eyes trained on my father as he talks.

"Thank you, thank you all for attending tonight. I am here to promise you that tonight you will witness history being made. Tonight is the night that Hydra prevails. But without further ado, I am here to introduce the one who made this night possible. Please welcome my daughter, Adalyn Averina to the stage." My father gives a slight bow as he exits stage. He gives me a nod and I walk out.

The lights are blindingly bright and hot. I hear applause as I walk to stand beside the chair. I wave and smile to the crowd as their cheers die down. I lick my lips and begin the speech I've spent a week memorizing to perfection.

"Thank you. Yes, as my father said, tonight you will have the privilege and honor to witness history being made. My father and I have managed to take something with great potential, but was deeply flawed, and make it into something perfect. Gone are the old days of Hydra has-beens, and here are the days of prosperity, under my father." I pause and look into the crowd.