Chapter Six

I stand with my hands clasped in front of me as I wait for instructions. Today is the day that the first Winter Soldier contract is going to be carried out. It took days of pleading with my father before he agreed to let me come. I argued with him until I was blue in the face and I'm pretty sure he only let me come because nobody else knows how to control the Soldier. Truth be told, I think the Soldier frightens my father but he'll never admit it.

Dane stands beside me as we watch agents put gear on the Soldier. He's outfitted in all black. He's given cargo pants, boots, and a motorcycle-esque jacket that exposes his metal arm. All items of clothing are laden with weapons, some hidden and others exposed. To top off his look, he's given a mask that obscures the lower half of his face. The mask is equipped with an air filter to protect him if he finds himself in a situation where poisonous gasses are present. Every aspect of his uniform was meticulously planned and designed.

An agent puts eye black on the Soldier's face and gives him special tactical glasses and then steps away from him, rubbing his blackened fingers on his pants. If I hadn't been working with the Soldier I would be very intimidated by his looks. Hell, even after working with him I'm still intimidated by his appearance.

"Everyone load up." The squadron leader announces, breaking the tense silence of the room.

Dane and I are going to be transported with the Soldier, not with the rest of the squadron. The Soldier climbs into the big armored vehicle first, followed by me, and then Dane. Dane sits close to me so that our legs are touching one another. I nonchalantly pull my leg away from his. After hearing his conversation with my father the other week, I feel uneasy being near Dane, not that I ever felt comfortable around him in the first place. I know it's just a matter of time before my father tells me of their plan.

The vehicle starts up loudly, and we're on our way to the mission site. The plan is to let the Soldier handle things on his own, after all he is an elite trained assassin. However, to make sure the contract is fulfilled, a squadron of special force Hydra soldiers are coming along as well. I've never seen the Soldier in action before and I'm anxious to see how this is going to play out.

Weeks ago an agent was planted within the target's circle in order to find out where the subject was going to be. It also allowed Hydra to install cameras at the hit site so that people observing can see what's happening in real time, and also provide proof to the client that their contract was fulfilled. It's a very complex ordeal, and I'm sure it's going to pay off.

The target is supposed to be going to lunch with the Hydra plant to discuss some sort of deal. The deal is just a facade to get the target as secluded from the public as possible. After all, the Winter Soldier is not supposed to be known to the public. He is to remain elusive. I feel myself become more nervous the closer to the site we get. We plan on parking a mile away from the site and having the squadron set up in locations nearby in case they are needed.

After what feels like hours of driving, the vehicle stops and is turned off. Someone opens the door for us and we all step out, the Soldier standing by my side. We're in some abandoned warehouse it seems. Inconspicuously, I place a hand on his back and hope that it brings him some sort of reassurance or comfort. After all, I have no idea what's going through his mind right now.

I remove my hand from his back and follow the squadron leader to what is going to be the communications point, where all the monitors to the cameras will be. Agents are rushing around to quickly set everything up. I check the shiny silver watch on my wrist, thirty minutes until the hit. I motion for the Soldier to follow me and I tell Dane to stay where he is, otherwise I know he would've followed me.

Secluded away from the others, the Soldier stares at me, equipment covering his face so I can't see it. I look into the glasses and sigh lightly, I think I'm more stressed out than anyone over this. My reputation is on the line too, it's not just about the Soldier's performance. I straighten out his jacket and glance at my watch again. Time seems to be flying by.