Chapter Seven

My mouth hands slightly agape. I knew this was coming but there was a small part of me that hoped my father would turn down Dane's plan. It doesn't make sense to me. Anger floods my body and I feel my face get hot,

"You can't be serious." Is all I can come up with. My eyes are trained on my father. He shakes his head and runs a hand over his face.

"I am deadly serious and you are not going to fight this. This alliance will solidify the power we have in this organization, Adalyn." My mind is running a million miles per minute. I know I don't have any say in this, I have to be subordinate to my father. I shake my head in disbelief, any sort of respect I had for my father has quickly died.

"Whatever you say." I reply to him. Who know what this means for me now. I know that all appearances will have to be made with Dane now. Surely he doesn't actually want me to follow through in a legitimate marriage with him, right? I turn on my heel to walk away, but am stopped by another voice,

"This means you are not only subordinate to me, but Dane as well now. Your sole responsibility is to tend the Soldier and help create contracts when needed. That is all, agent." My father speaks. It stings a little as he calls me agent, but all I can do is nod.

"Understood." I say in a monotonous tone. I leave the office and walk the halls. Hopefully Dane doesn't follow me.

I have no destination in particular, but I know if I go back to my room I can easily be found. I know for a fact if my mom were still alive this would not have happened. It's disgusting my father even considered Dane's proposition. He's easily in his mid twenties, and I'm not even eighteen yet. This isn't right but I know nobody can stop it.

I end up in the Soldier's room and see that I left the bloody knife on the desk. My mind flashes with different ideas and uses for the knife but I know I cannot follow through with any of them. I grab the cool metal handle and take it outside to the lab and clean it off. The rusty red blood wipes off the blade and swirls down the drain.

I return the blade to its place in the briefcase. I can't jeopardize my position here by trying to pull off some stupid attempt. Plus, if I were excommunicated from the organization I have nowhere else to go. However, I feel as though I would not be excommunicated, but executed. I take a seat at my desk and sigh, letting my head rest on my arms. Maybe things won't be as bad as I expect them to be.

I silently stand as agents buzz around all around me. Today another Winter Soldier contract is going to be completed. As I had predicted, after the success of the first one, we received several other contracts in the following days. However, I no longer have a hand in creating them. Meaning I have no control over the terms, the only thing I have control over is the man himself.

The Soldier stands on one side of me, and Dane the other. I've noticed that while Dane makes advances on me when we're together one on one, he doesn't dare try to touch me while the Soldier is near. It's ironic that the world's most elusive and elite assassin is the one person who makes me feel the safest.

In the weeks following the agreement, I've taken the backseat on most of the duties I used to be in charge of. Dane now speaks at all public events regarding the Soldier and he creates the contracts as well. In the eyes of the organization and Hydra's clients, Dane is the one in charge of the Winter Soldier.

"Sir are you good for transportation?" The Hydra agent asks Dane. Dane nods his head and the three of us load up in the armored vehicle.

The ride is brief, though I did zone out for more than half of the trip. I just haven't been able to feel like myself lately. It's like I don't have a personal identity anymore, I'm just here to serve others. I'm a tool for them, and not much more.