79.

Songs:

Don't Deserve You - Plumb

Elaine's POV

My heart trembles at the familiar string of words.  Upon hearing him utter the most affectionate confession, I feel myself growing scared.  Scared that I would cave.  Scared that he'd find out about Charlotte. 

But I can't deny that whatever I felt for him, is still there, buried underneath all of my voluntary disregard of our memories.

"Mommy! Mommy wake up! I'm going to be late for school!" Charlotte's voice rings through my ears as the image of her father dissipates in front of me.

As my eyes flutter open, I quickly realize that I'm in my bed.  Charlotte stands near me curiously studying her sleepy mother. I notice that she's already dressed and her locks of curls are tied up only into one ponytail today, one that's done pretty badly.

I push myself up to sit, but instantly regret it when a subtle pain at my temples start to throb at my skull.

"Are you sick, mommy? You don't look good," my daughter observes with a concerned frown.

I muster a smile to soothe her while shaking my head.  When did she become so independent as to put on her own clothes and do her own hair? 

"Mommy's fine," I say before an obnoxious sneeze lurches from my lips.

"You don't look fine."

The door of the room opens, and Chris peeps his head in.

"Charlotte," he says with a sigh as he folds his arms across his chest.  "I told you not to wake up your mom."

"It's okay, Chris," I tell him. He's not wearing his usual work clothes. He has plans other than work for this morning?

That's new.

"You going somewhere?" I ask, glancing at my watch to see that I barely have enough time to get ready.

Shit! How could I have forgotten to set the alarm last night?!

I thrust the duvet off of me and hurl myself out of bed, the effects of the headache taking over as soon as my feet plants onto the ground. A pair of strong arms steady me and slowly guides me back to sit on the bed.

"Whoa there," Chris' voice echoes. "Your face is as white as a ghost's. Why don't you just sit tight? I was going to take Charlotte to school anyway."

"That's where you were going," I hum to myself more than him.

"Yeah.  You came in pretty late last night.  We were starting to worry."

"Sorry," I say, swallowing a pang of guilt.  If they knew I was with Charlotte's father, or worse, what happened between us, they'd be so disappointed in me.

If only it remained a dream.

I glance over to my beautiful daughter who's watching me with a look of subtle devastation. 

"Mommy will be okay," I assure her again.

"Promise?" She whimpers.