Chapter XC

In the middle of the grand ballroom is Harry, his back facing me. He wears a black suit, the back of his jacket falling just before his knees. I slowly approach him, scheming a plot to frighten him. But just as I'm at arm's length, he turns around, his expression blank as he stares at me.

"Who are you?" He asks plainly.

Who am I?

"Don't joke with me, Harry," I say through a chuckle. He only watches me in confusion.

"How do you know my name?"

My heart sinks upon realization that he's forgotten me. Harry doesn't remember me.

When I wake from the terrible dream, I notice that I'm no longer sleeping on the bed.  I'm in a car. 

I shift to the other side of the passenger seat, facing the driver's side only to find it empty.  My eyes scan the unfamiliar area, searching for him.  The land stretched out before me is covered in a thin blanket of snow with snowflakes still falling from the sky.

My eyes stopped at a figure with his back facing me.  Relief washes over me as I instantly know it's Harry. 

I step out of the car, keeping my gaze on the only person my heart is afraid of losing sight of.  I'm about to call out his name but the eerily familiar situation suddenly reminds me of the dream I just had, and it fills me with a fear.

"Good morning you," Harry's voice rings in my ears. Without warning, I throw my arms around him, holding him tightly against me.  "Hey, what's going on? You alright Ellie?"

I sigh and nod, my chin rubbing against his shoulder.  He pulls me away and holds me at an arms distance so he can see me clearly.  He pinches my chin and gently lifts my head, forcing our eyes to meet.

"Why are you crying?" He chuckles quietly as his eyes began to water also.

I smile sheepishly.  "Why are you?"

"Because you're crying."

"I just," I sigh deeply. "...miss you.  That's all."

Harry's lips spreads into a sluggish smile as he pulls me back into him. We stay like this for a long moment, holding on as if it's the last time.

"Do you love me?" Harry asks.

"Yes," I answer in a heartbeat.

"What do you love about me?"

"About you?" I squint my eyes and pout my lips as if to think about what it is that drew me to him.  "Everything."

"That's too cliche."

I chuckle. "Aren't you a man of cliches?"

"Do you know why I love you?"

I shook my head. His eyes travel slightly upward, brushing away a strand of my hair behind my ear. He repeats this to the other side as well.

"Just because."

"Just because?"

He nods as if it's obvious.