83.

Song: Can You Hold Me - NF ft. Britt Nicole

Elaine's POV

The large snowflakes fall steadily from the sky as I make my way down Fifth street.  Christmas lights decorate each and every tree on the street adding a glowing touch of life to the dull buildings of New York.

My phone beeps in the pocket of my coat and I see it's a text from Chris. 

"Don't forget the donuts." It reads.

I laugh in my head and stuff my phone back on my pocket.  I guess I'm not the only one who thought getting a phone was a good idea. 

I step into the empty warm Krispy Kreme shop and walk up to the counter. I ask for The Chris' Usual and he comes here so often that they know what I'm talking about.

I reach in my purse for my wallet to pay but come across little containers of cereals on the counter, making me pause for a long moment.  I reach for the one that caught my eye and place it by the register.

"This too please," I add. 

He scans the cup of Lucky Charms, and I place it in my bag.  The young blonde tells me it'll be just a few minutes so I wait by the window of the shop, watching the citizens of New York walk by with at least ten bags in each hand.  It's that time of year.

"Elaine?"

I turn around at the call of my name and am surprised to see it's someone I know. 

"Alice."

....

She comes back from ordering a black coffee and sits from the high chair across from me.

"How weird that we would run into each other here, of all places," Alice laughs and I nod, agreeing. 

"Who would've thought? How've you been?" I ask.

"Really good.  I got engaged." She modestly raises the back of her hand by the side of her face to show me the ring.

"Congratulations! Who's the lucky guy?"

"Do you remember ... Father Allen?"

"No way," I gape. "You're engaged to him?"

"Yeah, it just sorta happened," she shrugs with an apparent "I'm-in-love-and-couldn't-be-happier" smile.

"I'm so happy for you two! How did he propose?"

"In the church. It was quite romantic. Quite so that others felt nauseous after I told them how so I'll spare you," she says and we both laugh. "How about you? Are you with anyone?"

"No," I say and her lips press into a thin line, either suppressing a frown or a smile.

"Oh. How about -- you know -- Harry?" She says his name in a quiet whisper. "Have you spoken with him at all?"

"I'd rather not talk about it."

"He doesn't stop talking about you, you know," she ignores me but I don't repeat my words, knowing she's not going to stop talking about her friend. "He came to New York just to find you after you left. He wanted to patch things --"