8

In the morning, I climbed the steps to the lamp room to take in the view. One of Edenithil's cats was lying curled up on the sill of the leaded window that encircled the top of the tower. To the west, Minas Glingal and Elostirion stood proudly on their conical hills, their lamps pale in the bright morning. Beyond them, tall, mountainous clouds marked the Gulf of Lhûn.

The beauty of the view was not enough to allay my doubts of what Edenithil had told us over supper. If were to be barred from crossing the Lhûn at Mithlond, we would have to ride sixty leagues north, much of which would be at night.

The sound of footsteps behind me broke my train of thought and I turned to see Finduilas climbing the top steps.

"There you are." She smiled and I realised that it was the first instance of such a thing happening. "I came to say farewell. I ride for Bree while the weather is fine."

"Bree?"

"There are rumours of orcs settling in the North Downs. Chieftain Argonui asked me to investigate."

"The North Downs too? What does all this mean, Finduilas?"

"I know not. The orcs are too few and too widespread for an invasion. But the Chieftain should know of their encroachment on the High Moor."

I nodded. "Well, Finduilas, I wish you good fortune and a safe journey. I hope that one day our paths might cross again."

"I wish the same, Siriondil."

She turned to leave but I stopped her with a question. "Have you noticed anything strange about Edenithil?"

"Well, if you count dancing on the table while playing an imaginary flute strange then, yes."

"It is true, he has been this way for the last few centuries. But he seems different. It is something I cannot pinpoint, probably my imagination."

"How long has he been the Guardian of the Tower?"

"Since it was built."

"He has lived here alone for the last three thousand years?"

"Not alone. He has his cats."

She smiled and turned towards the lamp. "Such a beautiful light." She strolled around to the other side.

I leaned against the sill. "A constant light, shining for nigh on seven thousand years. This is a calarivor. A Fëanorian lamp."

"I know. I saw one once in Rivendell."

"Forgive me, Finduilas. I did not know you had been to Rivendell."

Again, she smiled. "Most of them were blue, were they not? Like Edenithil's lantern."

I nodded. "White ones were incredibly rare, even in the Elder Days." I joined her at the other side of the lamp. "The casing is of an ancient Dwarven design, which leads me to think that it was saved from the destruction of Belegost. I certainly never saw one like this in Nogrod."

"You visited Nogrod?"

"I lived there for a time."

She paused, looking down at the base of the casing. "There is an inscription here." There were old Dwarf runes carved into the silver base. "What does it say?"

"It is no language I have ever read. It must be some sort of cipher. I must take a rubbing and show it to my friend in Mithlond."

"You mean to ride there?"

"There are questions that need answers," I said as I unfolded a thin, crumpled sheet of paper. I laid the paper over the inscription and reached inside my hip pocket for a piece of charcoal. "I smell breakfast," I said as I rubbed the charcoal over the paper. "Can I persuade you to stay?"

"I really must be off, Siri-"

"Nonsense," I said, holding up the rubbing. "Eat. And then go."

* * *

The others had pooled our provisions and discovered that only the twins' side of bacon and my packet of Lebennin tea were worthy of breakfast. Edenithil had gathered eggs from the coop at the end of the garden and there was fresh milk from his goat for those who wanted it.

We gathered on the terrace and shared the cherries that Finduilas had picked near Beraid Gelin the previous morning.

"Is our host not joining us for breakfast?" Aglahad said after spitting out a stone.

"He says he doesn't eat breakfast these days," I explained. "He offered to feed the horses."

The Dwarves brought skillets of eggs and bacon from the kitchen. Lofar took a seat at the grey, weathered table and gestured to everyone to help themselves. "He seemed to be interested in our plans last night."

"As he said, Edenithil has few visitors," I said. "I think he can be forgiven for being a little curious."

Aglahad set about pouring tea for everyone. "Siri says we are to ride north today."

"North?" Finduilas said.

"The ruins of a small town," I explained. "Galedhraim, thirty leagues north of here. I believe it serves as one of your outposts."

"Galedhraim?" Lofar grumbled as he tore a hunk of bread from the remaining loaf. "Sounds like it might be out of our way."

"Why can't we make for the Lhûn?" Lóni said.

"If Edenithil spoke true last night," I said, "riding anywhere near the Havens would be folly. The strand-guards will be patrolling the border, on the lookout for orcs. Besides, the Elves of Lindon have little love for Dwarves." The twins seemed to be okay with this. "So I propose that I ride out alone."

Finduilas held up her beaker, as though making a toast. "Then we shall ride hard for Galedhraim."

"We?" I said.

Aglahad swallowed a piece of bacon then wiped his mouth. "I thought you had been tasked with escorting us as far as the Tower Hills."

I was as surprised as Aglahad by her intention although I was glad that she was staying with us a little longer.

"You are still in the country of Arthedain. If your intention is to ride north across the High Moor, I have a duty of care for your safety until you are at the border with Lindon."

The Dwarves raised their eyebrows and nodded.

"Now, if we are to avoid such as befell us last night, we should arrive at Galedhraim before nightfall."

Aglahad rubbed his beard. "What makes you think the place hasn't been overrun by orcs, if there are as many as Edenithil says?"

"The garrison at Annúminas would have heard of it. And what Annúminas knows I know."

"Then it is settled," I said. "We will meet at Ciriant tomorrow evening."

"And thence to Belegost," said Aglahad.

"To Belegost," the twins toasted, holding up their beakers.