11

"Follow me," Finduilas hissed and crouched into a run. She led Aglahad and the twins round to the back of the latrine house where the light of the bonfire did not reach. They darted from ruin to ruin, constantly watching the jeering mob as they threw various objects into the fire. At one point Aglahad thought he saw a human arm being consumed by the flames. He felt the urge to ask Finduilas where all the Rangers were but she probably had greater concerns.

They snaked among a cluster of low mounds until the glow of the bonfire cast long shadows between the high walls of two ruined houses. Here they paused behind an aeglos bush and looked about in the fine rain. Through the thorny tangle, Aglahad peeked at the fountain of sparks that rose from the agitated fire. Beyond, a high wall, brazen with fire light. His eyes followed the shadows of the dark monstrosities that jostled and cajoled each other around the fire. Above them, the branches of the small tree peeked above the top of the wall.

Presently, an orc staggered along the ancient, ruined street towards them and they all crouched a little lower. The thing leaned against the moss-dark wall before making water.

"How do we get past that thing?" Aglahad murmured.

"We could wait until it goes back," Lóni said. But Finduilas was already scurrying towards it.

There was a minor struggle before the orc became a dark untidy heap at the Ranger's feet. She turned and beckoned. Aglahad ducked down as he followed the Dwarves towards her. As they pressed themselves against the wall there was a loud bestial scream. Aglahad immediately thought of Bronweg but it sounded more like Lofar's pony. He looked at the Dwarf as his grimace became twisted with rage.

"Stay close," Finduilas hissed. They scurried across an old alley and hid behind another high wall. The chattering and laughing of the orcs had receded and it looked like they were eating.

At the end of the wall, Finduilas peered into the darkness beyond. "Another," she whispered. "On the right. Wait here."

Aglahad crouched with the brothers, glancing at the dim glow of the fire and peering into the night beyond the ruined walls. He fancied there were rocks on the move among the aeglos and holly bushes but perhaps it was a fox or a trick of the mind. It seemed like an hour had passed before Finduilas returned with another orc blade. She passed it to Lofar who held it up to inspect it.

"The weapons are stashed by the next building," she murmured. "Come. See?" They followed her out of the darkness towards the glow of fire edged by the next dark wall. Across another gap stood the building against which the weapons had been stowed. The foliage of the tree trimmed the uneven top of the far wall.

Finduilas made a gesture for us to crouch down. "I will run across and climb up."

"There must be something we can do," Lóni hissed.

"If I get into difficulties, divert their attention. Otherwise, await my return."

"What of the horses?" Aglahad said.

"They were tethered near to where we came upon the ruins," said Lofar. "Why don't we free the mounts and meet you after you get the weapons?"

"That could cause problems if you are seen."

Aglahad looked at Lofar and gestured towards the darkness beyond the ruins. "Not if you give the walls a wide berth and come about on the track we came in on."

She thought about this for a moment then looked at me. "Very well. Go with them, Aglahad."

"We would be less conspicuous alone."

For a moment, Aglahad thought about disagreeing. He longed to return to Bronweg before she too was slaughtered. He turned to Finduilas. "I will stay with you."

She nodded then addressed the twins. "Quick and clean." She peeked past the wall and a moment later she was running across the opening. Lofar slapped Aglahad on the shoulder then the two of them ran off into the darkness. Exhilarated by his new solitude, Aglahad watched Finduilas nimbly scale the low masonry at the near end of the building. Most of the orcs were huddled around the carcass of Lofar's pony beyond the fire. Soon Finduilas was atop the highest part of the wall and turning the corner toward the tree. She looked so close to the fire that Aglahad thought she would be seen. But soon she was crouching behind the sparse branches of the tree. She seemed to hesitate for a moment but then she moved a few steps along the wall. Then she was gone.

There was a lull, a silence, when all the orcs were busy stuffing their maws with raw pony flesh. And then those nearest the fire started toppling over. The orcs beyond the fire scattered like disturbed flies from dung. Aglahad stepped forward from his hiding place with a strong urge to join the fray but he was weaponless and helpless. Instead he sprinted across the opening and around the building. The uproar increased as he dashed across the floor of the old building and leaped over the low remains of the opposite wall.

He was almost at the corner when Finduilas appeared, sparring with two orcs with her sword and knife. The brothers' hand axes were tucked into her belt.

"Finduilas!"

She gave him the briefest of glances then yelled in Sindarin: "Get your weapons!"

Aglahad rushed forward as an orc scurried towards him, sword in hand. He kicked the abomination hard in the groin then kneed it in the face. After prising the blade from its dirty fingers he hurried on to the cache of weapons.

Bregedúr was stuck in the soft mud beside the pile, her blade catching the firelight. But he could not see the sheath. He worked his way along the wall, keeping low, almost crawling at times. Most of the orcs were preoccupied with Finduilas but then there was the ping of an arrow on the masonry above and behind his head. Aglahad turned to see the captain striding towards him, drawing his bow. But the second arrow went wild as the captain slipped in the stinking mud. Aglahad crawled towards his sword, flipping onto his side as an orc jumped at him. He thrust the orc-dagger up into its jaw then used its dying body to clamber to his feet.

The captain had dropped the bow and had decided that a sword was a better choice of weapon. It strode towards Aglahad, snarling. Aglahad yanked Bregedúr from the mud and swung around, hoping to slice the orc's head from its shoulders. But the blade was met by the captain's own sword.

He leapt backwards against the wall and deflected a blow from the captain before raising his boot and pushing the orc away. It stumbled as Aglahad composed himself then lunged. The orc's blade deflected again and Aglahad pivoted away from its parry.

From nowhere, Aglahad felt a blow to the side of his head that made him feel for a moment that he had just woken up in a strange place. At first, he thought a rock had been thrown at him from the darkness and it was only later that he grasped that it was the captain's fist. After he recovered, he realised he was slumped against the wall. Bregedúr lay across his lap; his other hand was planted in the mud. With his little finger he could feel the cold iron of the orkish dagger. The captain raised its sword and Aglahad raised Bregedúr. In the moment, their blades clashed he grabbed the dagger and thrust it up into the captain's ribs. It sucked in air and hunched over to the side. Its sword fell from its hand and hit something hard. Aglahad looked were the iron blade had fallen and reached down for his sheath. He clambered to his feet and tucked the sheath into his belt before turning Finduilas.

She was finishing off the orcs nearest to her. "To the horses!" she cried and she dashed towards the makeshift stable. Aglahad strode after her, swinging Bregedúr from side to side, her blade singing in the damp night air. After dismembering the nearest two orcs the others fled before him.

The Dwarves were already walking the horses towards them. Finduilas handed over their axes. "Your knives are lost," she said as she mounted her horse.

Aglahad leapt onto Bronweg and pulled Lofar up and behind him. The black shapes of the remaining orcs jostled against the firelight. Aglahad turned Bronweg and she leaped towards the darkness as orc darts flew past their heads.