25

The Hall of Lords was filled with shades. Hundreds of Dwarves, their women and children stood silently staring at us in a Each held one of Gostir's hoarded weapons. They gathered around us as we stalked through the archway and into their midst.

Aglahad held up the head of Daeroval. "The Dragon's Thrall is dead."

The shades stared at him blankly. I looked at Aglahad then down at Bregedúr, gleaming in his hand. Slowly, I passed my knife to my other hand and holding it lightly by the blade, raised it in front of me.

"People of Gabilgathol! Go in peace." I dropped the knife and the sound resonated across the Hall. Aglahad looked down at it and then stared at Bregedúr, as though for the first time. He glanced at me then tossed his sword and caught it by the blade.

He held the sword that had severed the skin-changer's head out in front of him. "People of Gabilgathol! You are free. Go in peace." The sword hit the floor and rang out like a peel of bells. The foremost, armour-clad Dwarves looked at the sword then raised their war axes as though to strike. But in unison the axes fell and clanged on the stone floor. Like a wave, the shades behind dropped their weapons. The sound reverberated through the cavernous hall.

Then slowly each shade turned and walked away. As I looked around, their forms dissolved and the pale green glow receded with them.

Now the floor was arrayed with Dwarven axes, Elven swords and Orkish iron daggers. Beyond, Gostir's skeleton lay broken, the bones strewn across the floor.

We took up our blades and stepped among the weapons towards the southern archway. As I glanced at Aglahad, a pale green light in the western archway caught my eye. For a moment I thought one of the shades had returned but then Lofar emerged into the Hall, encircled by the light from his lamp-shard. In his other hand, he held a white crystal, no doubt from the calarivor in the chamber where we'd left him. Aglahad and I walked to meet him. Lofar moved slowly, at times staggering as he tripped over the swords and axes at his feet. He bore no weapons of his own.

"Come, friend," Aglahad said softly. "The task is done. Let us leave this accursed place."

Lofar seemed to have only just noticed us. "I must tarry. I shall walk these halls until I find my brother."

"Come with us, Lofar," I implored. "We shall return to the Gates and find him there, I wager."

He looked down at his hands and again it was as though he had only just realised he was holding the crystals. He pushed the Dwarven shard into Aglahad's glove then smiled weakly and turned away.

"Take the map," Aglahad said. He stepped over the uneven floor and placed his hand on the Dwarf's shoulder. Lofar half-turned and Aglahad moved to face him head on. He held the folded parchment out to him. "Please, friend. Take the map."

Lofar stared at it. It was as though he was no longer aware of its significance. Aglahad pulled the edge of Lofar's jerkin out and slid the map inside. Then he let his friend turn and pass him.

I bent down and picked up a long-knife like the ones Tathariel used to use. "At least take a blade with you," I said, holding it up. But he did not turn back. He shuffled off towards the eastern archway, his head bowed. Aglahad shook his head and joined me as I tucked my new blade into my belt.

We walked back to the ramps and climbed up to the Third Deep and looked out onto the town. "The ramp tower," Aglahad said, pointing.

"I see them." Moth-bats were emerging from the tower like bees from a hive. They fluttered around the cavern aimlessly.

"Do they seek us?"

"We certainly seem to have excited them. Come. We should leave this place."

As we turned away, the dark at the end of the concourse was slowly weakening in blue light. Things were emerging from it and scurrying towards us and we ran headlong towards the ramp.