13

Tarondor and I rode north across the High Moor then followed the Lhûn Road towards Ciriant. Soon after the sun disappeared behind the mountains, pinpricks of red torchlight started to dot the darkening heath to the east.

I had been trying to process the day's events. A skin-changer in Eriador. I had not come across such sorcery in centuries. If it found its way to Mithlond or Rivendell the consequences would be unthinkable. But why had it stolen the palantír? Elendil's Stone was aligned to the West; it could not communicate with the other surviving stones. It seems that the skin-changer had discovered this and had, for some reason, chosen an Elven form to announce its displeasure.

And Edenithil was dead. I stopped myself from pondering when the skin-changer might have taken him.

To our left, fireflies flashed on and off above the long sward that fell gently to the river. The lights of Ciriant rose before us.

* * *

Tarondor and I parted at the town gates and I walked Losnoron to the stables. Ciriant was humming with activity. I had never before had reason to visit this little garrison town, built during the Angmar Wars. Now it resembled a horse market. Strand-guards and soldiers rode through the streets nodding to each other, hitching their horses to whatever empty post or rail they could find. I soon discovered that the small stable had been repurposed as a hay store so I made my way towards the market square, where I found Finduilas.

"Mae govannen," she said with a smile.

"I have much to tell you."

"And I you. Where are the others?"

"The tavern. Where else?"

* * *

After tethering our horses alongside Bronweg, Finduilas and I joined the rest of our little fellowship at a large table at The Leaping Salmon. We passed a flagon of wine and plates of fried fish between us. A wolfhound visited our table and I tickled her under the chin. She looked at the food for a moment then lolloped off when it was clear she wasn't going to get any.

"I must admit," I said, "I am famished after the long ride. A good bath is what I need before bed."

"What have you to cleanse yourself of?" Aglahad said, refilling his goblet. "If it isn't orc filth and animal entrails then I care not."

"Yes, Aglahad. Finduilas told me of your encounter."

"And it is well that I was there with these good people and not with the one who has been entrusted with my safety."

"Aglahad, I –"

"Sire!"

The Elves nearest to our table looked over. The twins looked at each other with raised eyebrows.

"Sire," I murmured, leaning forward. "The incident was unforeseeable. Even Finduilas had no idea the orcs were –"

"Aye, Finduilas." He turned to her. "You assured us it would be safe." Again, his voice was rising. "What Annúminas knows you know."

Lofar cleared his throat. "Calm yourself, laddie."

The boy ignored him. "You know nothing!"

"Aglahad," I snapped and snatched his goblet from him before he could put it to his lips. Throughout his little tirade, Finduilas had leaned back in her chair, glancing around the room as though he were addressing someone else.

"We have a long day ahead of us," I said. "You should get some rest."

He stared at me for a moment then sprang to his feet, his chair screeching on the stone floor. He grabbed the flagon and turned towards the counter. We were all silent for a while. I watched Aglahad as he waited to be served.

Only now did Finduilas look at him.

I caught her eye. "Please, excuse my –"

"His first orc ambush," Lóni said. He started to slice some bread while his brother passed the butter dish. By and by, the Dwarves related to us all that had happened during the previous night.

Finduilas concluded the account. "They seem to be using the ruins of Arthedain as steppingstones. They sleep in the old cellars and sewers in the day and decamp at dusk."

"My kinsman, Tarondor," I said. "He tells me they venture closer to our borders with each passing night. We saw their torches in the hills above the river."

"I have not seen Ciriant like this before," she said said.

"Tarondor says cavalry arrive from Mithlond every day."

Aglahad reappeared from the crowd, carrying a tea pot. "Have you mentioned Annúminas?" He seemed to have calmed down. We all looked at him. "The orc captain implied they were making for Annúminas."

Finduilas looked at me and nodded.

"What do they want in Annúminas?"

"Geledhraim was a bloodbath," she said. "I suspect they mean to wipe out the Rangers."

"You don't seem to be troubled by such a thought," said Lóni.

"What they mean to do is of little worth. Those are Rangers of Arthedain, not lost sheep."

For all her brave words, I sensed uncertainty in her bearing. I wanted to ask why she had not ridden to her people after they escaped the orcs. But I didn't think it would be of much use. Nor did I want to mention Glamdring to any of them, especially the Dwarves.

"Círdan's cavalry will be in Annúminas by tomorrow night," I assured everyone finally. I suppose I was really trying to assure Finduilas.

I told them of the events of my day and watched their eyes and mouths open wider and wider in the telling. As I spoke, I noticed the lutist from Tharbad come into the tavern. He waved at the taverner and was soon brought a goblet, which he took along with him as he melted into the crowd at the far side of the room.

"Why would this thing want the Elendil Stone?" Finduilas said as she cut into one of the two filets of fish that the Dwarves had graciously left.

"I ask myself that very question. Yet I have many more besides." The lutist's soft playing drifted across the tavern and someone took up the song.

"Aye, questions," Lóni murmured. "Like, if this here skin-changer murdered your friend and took his place, it could do it again." He leaned back in his chair and gave us sidelong glances with narrowed eyes.

"So, Greenleaf," Lofar said. "You have told us much but what did you find out in the Havens?"

"In that regard, Lofar, I have much to tell. But this is not the time or place for the telling."

The Dwarf slumped in his chair, frowning.

"I beg your patience until the morn and after we have left Ciriant." I reached inside my tunic. "Suffice it to say -" I showed them the top of the map.

Lofar threw his head back and barked a laugh then drained his goblet. "Well then, with that I will bid you all a good night. It's early to bed for us."

Lóni didn't seem to mind his brother speaking for him. "We need fresh ponies," he explained, knocking out his pipe. "And Lofar lost a cooking pot."

"The less you have," Finduilas muttered, "the less you lose." She cast a sideways smile at me.

"There is one more thing," said Lofar. He shook his thumb at the boy. "Who's this Aglahad fellow?"