Chapter 23

My heart pounded against my ribcage as I approached the red door at the end of the hallway. Kendall lived on the top floor of her apartment complex. With every step closer more adrenaline pumped through my veins. I could feel my body shaking with anticipation. I finally reached her door. I clutched the paper bag with cups of soup inside to my chest before reaching my hand up to knock.

I waited impatiently for the door to open, tapping my foot as if there was somewhere important I needed to be. As if there was anywhere on this earth I needed to be other than at Kendall's apartment. There were a few moments of silence followed by some stomping, a crashing sound, and a loud thud against the door. The door slowly opened; Kendell's tired eyes peeked out. As soon as she saw me she threw the door open, revealing a shirtless Kendall. I felt my cheeks burn at the sight of her toned abs.

"RON!" She shouted, throwing her arms around me.

A whirlwind of emotions flew through me. Relief, joy, worry, guilt, panic, and content all at once. Even sick she still somehow smelled like honey and rain. I wanted to stay wrapped in her arms forever but knew if I did I would catch a cold too.

"Get off me sickie," I joked. Although I wish I hadn't. she removed her arms and shoved me playfully. A rush of cold air surrounded me as soon as we parted.

"Did you bring the goods?" she asked, winking at me.

My stomach churned and I felt myself starting to blush. It was the first time since our dance that I was able to look into her caramel eyes. They were warm and inviting. Oh how I missed seeing them.

"Chicken noodle." I said, holding up the bag, trying not to keep glancing at her mid-section.

She smiled widely, "Well, c'mon, we can't eat soup in the hallway!"

She took my hand and drug me into the apartment, sending goosebumps up my arm. It was a decent size apartment. The door opened to a large space with a couch and tv in the corner to the left. The kitchen was along the back wall, with a small balcony to the left of the fridge. A table and chairs was tucked behind a wall to the right. The wall had two doors. The one furthest from the entrance was slightly open. I could partially see an unmade bed with a pink comforter. In the corner by the tv, I noticed a large German shepherd asleep on a dog bed.

"You have a dog?" I asked, staring at the slumbering beast.

"Oh yeah, that's Schmidt." She said, releasing my hand and taking a seat at the table.

"Schmidt?" I raised an eyebrow at the odd name.

"Yeah, my sister is a really big fan of the show New Girl." She shrugged, "He's really friendly - when he's awake that is. He's also deaf so he probably doesn't even know you're here."

I nodded. I shrugged off my backpack and placed it on an empty chair before taking a seat across from her.

"So how are you feeling" I asked, taking a moment to really look at her appearance.

Her hair was in a messy bun, not the kind that is styled to be messy, it was actually messy. Like she had attempted to put it up, but half had fallen out. she was wearing a grey sports bra and red gym shorts. Her eyes were bloodshot and large bags hung from her cheeks. Her nose and cheeks were a warm red.

"Can't complain," she shrugged before entering into a coughing fit.

"Sounds like it," I jeered while taking the cups of soup out of the brown bag.

I popped the lid and handed her a plastic spoon, pushing the soup in front of her.

"I have a cough but honestly I'm so hopped up on cough syrup I don't really feel anything." She giggled.