Chapter 26

"And then, I told Jessica R. to 'eat glass' and punched her in the face." Jordan said, taking another piece of funnel cake and practically swallowing it whole.

Kendall, Nick, Celeste, Zach, Hunter, and I all stared at the girl dumbfounded. We were sharing a couple funnel cakes at a picnic table near the food stand. Jordan had been telling us about an argument she got in at school the week before.

"Does your mom know?" Nick asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"No, I'm not an idiot." She scoffed, "If mom knew I wouldn't be here right now cuz I'd be dead."

"Yeah, aunt Jennifer is terrifying." Hunter said with an intense stare.

"Speaking of terrifying," Jordan spoke up again, "Can we do the haunted house next?"

"God that thing is lame." Zach sighed, slouching into the table.

"I'm down." Celeste said shrugging.

"See! I knew I liked you," Jordan said pointing a piece of funnel cake at her.

"I get to go through with Nick." Hunter said quickly.

"Oo and I get to go with Celeste!" Jordan said hugging the girl's arm.

"I kinda wanted to go with Ronnie," Nick said, trying to let Hunter down easy.

"That's too bad, because I'm going with Ron." Kendall said, winking at me from across the table.

I felt my cheeks warm slightly. I ducked my head to hide the pink on my face.

"What about me?" Zach said, sitting up.

"What about you?" Kendall said, turning to him, "Didn't you say it was lame? You should have no problem going by yourself." She shrugged.

"is there not a group option?" Celeste asked, raising her pieced eyebrow.

"Well, technically we would be in a group, but the hallways are so narrow you can really only go in groups of two." Nick answered.

She nodded her head, taking in the new information, "Sweet, well, lil' sis, you ready?" Celeste asked, looking down at Jordan.

She nodded enthusiastically. We all laughed at her excitement. Well, everyone but Zach. Kendall reached for the last piece of funnel cake, finishing it off. Nick and I gathered the empty paper plates and took them over to the trash together.

"I hope you're not too disappointed that Hunter claimed me." He said genuinely.

I felt a sharp ping of guilt stab at my side. Not only was I not disappointed, but somewhat relieved. I mustered a sympathetic smile, "No worries. I'm just glad Kendall likes me enough to go with me, so I don't have to be solo."

It wasn't a complete lie. I would have been fine going through solo. Haunted houses didn't really scare me. They were predictable. I was always able to spot exactly where the actors would pop out to try and scare you. I was, however, overjoyed that Kendall decided she wanted to go with me.

I had noticed within the last few weeks - specifically this past one - we had become very close. She had proven to be a lot more...affectionate? Than I had anticipated. She always hugged me goodbye after hanging out (which I happily accepted), and it seemed like our arms or hands would brush against each other whenever we walked side by side. Although, the arm linking was new. Tonight was the first time she had done it.

I was always scared to make any move to touch her, whether it be a hug, or even just resting a hand on her shoulder. I felt an overwhelming guilt followed by either electricity or a churning stomach. The battle between my mind and my heart over keeping my distance and keeping her close was constant. Would she still want to hang out with me if she knew? Would she be disgusted to have been touched by a girl that has a massive crush on her?