Chapter Eight

Harry finds a new friend, Emma gets asked a question, Newt and Queenie call in reinforcements, and Tina has a very good reason to be proud of herself. Oh, and we see someone we haven't seen in a while.

***

Harry skipped in front of Emma as she, Newt and Queenie hung back slightly to talk about what they just saw. Queenie had put the glamours back on Newt and herself, so they could walk around Diagon Alley freely.

"This means we need to make sure Dumbledore never gets to him," Newt muttered to the two women as they followed Harry, who was heading to Eeylops Owl Emporium to look around. "Never."

"Agreed," Emma mumbled to them, ducking as an owl passed by her head.

She watched as her son pet a snowy white owl, and then looked up at her, Newt and Queenie. "Can we get her? Pretty please?" Harry pleaded, his bright green eyes pleading.

Newt looked at Emma, who looked very, very hesitant, but he chuckled when she reluctantly nodded. "As long as it's okay with Newt and Queenie, sure kid. But you have to help take care of her," she told him sternly, watching as Harry squealed and turned to Queenie and Newt.

"All young witches and wizards need a companion, and you'll be able to take this girl here with you to school," Newt nodded, and Quennie reached over to pet the owl. Newt went over and quickly paid for everything they would need for the owl, and then walked out with Harry, his new friend perched on his shoulder, nuzzling her beak into his neck.

Emma and Queenie followed behind them as they started walking back down the yellow cobblestone road. "What do you want to name her?" Emma asked.

Harry hummed, tilting his head as he thought. "What about Hedwig?" Newt suggested, and Harry looked up at him confused. Newt grinned bashfully. "A History of Magic was one of the few books I actually read and liked because it covered magical beasts. Saint Hedwig was the name of one of the witches in the book.

Harry looked up at him, down at his new owl, and back to Newt grinning. "I love it!" he cheered.

After Harry got his owl, and Newt shrunk down all of the things he'd gotten for her and put them in his pocket, he led them to the apothecary, explaining he'd only be a minute and went inside. While he was gone, Emma, Harry and Quennie took a seat at the bench near them. Harry was leaning against Emma, playing with his owl's feathers as she trilled happily, and Emma talked with Queenie.

"I'm so sorry, Emma," Queenie sighed, and Emma looked at her confused.

"What for?"

"For all you went through as a child," she murmured. "Newt and I know . . . you were underage when you had your first child. Close, but you were still a few months shy of eighteen."

Emma shook her head, grabbing Queenie's hand. "It's not your fault, Queenie," she said firmly.

Queenie nodded, and then brightened considerably. "Newt and I were going to wait until we got home, but . . . well, I know we will all be exhausted when we get back but we wanted to ask you if you would like to move in with us? It won't take coordinating to see Harry and it will be easier to protect him. It will be much easier to help you manage the houses that way too," Queenie rambled, and Emma smiled.

Harry had lifted his head as Queenie talked, and pulled on Emma's jacket sleeve. When she looked down, he had his puppy dog eyes out. "Can we, Mum?"

Emma couldn't say no to those eyes, so she looked up at Queenie and nodded. "Yeah, that sounds good. Really good, actually," Emma told her, and Queenie squealed, hugging her tightly.