Chapter Thirty-Two

chapter thirty-two
cover for her

"It was Chrissy, Dustin." Addison added on, shifting in his bed, smoothing out the covers beside her. "Cunningham."

"Chrissy? Chrissy Cunningham? You're sure it was Chrissy?" Dustin began pacing back and forth, hat covering his eyes.

"Yes, we're sure." Addison said, "She was in her cheer outfit."

"The same one she wore earlier that day," Max added on, "Same thing she was in when I saw her with Eddie."

"Did you tell all this to the cops?"

"No. No... But- But I can't be the only one who saw them?" Max said, glancing over at Addison who hadn't seen them together, only Chrissy's body in his trailer. "I mean, they stood out."

"Eddie the Freak with Chrissy the cheerleader?" Dustin was stunned, disbelief showing clear in his tone.

"Exactly!" Addison pointed to him as Max took a seat next to her on Dustin's bed.

"His name isn't on the news yet or anything, but I guarantee you, Eddie is suspect number one right now."

"That's crazy!" Dustin stopped his pacing, turning to face both of the girls. His arms were crossed and his eyes narrowed. "Eddie didn't do this! No way."

Max cringed, tilting her head to the side. Dustin emphasized, "No way!"

"She was in his trailer.." Addison trailed off, "Eddie's sweet, but-but.. she was in his living room."

"Yeah! We can't rule it out."

"Yes, we can!" Dustin said quickly.

"Dustin." Max said slowly, voice coated in exasperation at his shock.

"No! You two don't know him like I do." Dustin accused, "Addie, you're seriously in on this insanity?"

Addison curled her lips, avoiding Dustin's gaze. "I-I don't know.. I love Eddie! But- But.. Dustin.. Why would her body be in his trailer?"

"When we got to high school, and Lucas made all his sports friends, you, Mike, and me? No one was nice to us. I mean, no one! No one except Eddie." Dustin's eyes focused on Addison, "I mean, maybe other people were nice to you. Everyone loves you. No one could hate you."

Addison sighed, fidgeting with her hands in her lap. "Dustin.. I-"

"Stop guilting her." Max narrowed her eyes at him, "Plus, they said the same thing about Bundy."

"Ted Bundy?" Dustin scrunched his face up, shaking his head.

"Yeah? I mean, he's this super nice but he's murdering women on the weekend."

"So... you're saying Eddie.. is like Ted Bundy?"

"Wha- No! I'm just saying that, uh, we can't presume anything." Dustin threw his arms up, turning away from them. "I'm just saying, it doesn't look good for Eddie!"

Dustin sighed heavily, rubbing his hands across his face, pulling his cheeks down as he turned back to face them. "Why haven't you told the cops this?"

"I-I don't know.." Max stammered, crossing her arms.

"Cops scare me." Addison said quickly, "Except Hopper... I miss him-"

"Okay, okay.. You. Oh my god. You don't know?! How do I know you two didn't do this?"

"You think Addison could kill someone?" Max rose her eyebrows, sitting back against Dustin's bed. She crossed her arms, lazily nodding her toward the brunette.