Surface Pressure

It was now morning as the three went down to the backyard to get breakfast. They began searching for Dolores and looked out for Imelda, knowing she would ask them questions if she saw them. 

“Dolores, hey you’re like my favorite cousin.” Mirabel began to say as Dolores gave her a confused and awkward look. The twins saw their interaction before Carlos sighed deeply. 

“Mirab-”

“So I feel like I can talk to you about everything, ergo you can talk to me about anything.” She continued ignoring her cousin. 

“Um Mirabel, that's n-.” But yet again it was heard by deaf ears. Carlos placed his hand on his brother’s shoulder as he shook his head. So the two watched them, interested to see what would happen. 

“Like the problem with the magic last night that no one seemed to worry about, but maybe you heard about that maybe we should know about.” She finished and brought the twins closer to her. In which Dolores looks at them with a raised eyebrow.  Carlos just waved it off as Oscar shrugged. 

“Camilo! Stop pretending you’re Dolores so you can have seconds.” Felix said behind the three with the real Dolores behind him. 

“Worth a shot.” Camilo shrugged, shifting back to himself  before Casita hit his elbow with the window pane. Quickly saving his food before Casita hit him again. Felix rolled his eyes before walking to the table. 

“Why didn’t you tell me that wasn’t Dolores!?” Mirabel whispered shouted at Carlos, who picked his ear boredly. 

“We tried but you didn’t listen.” He sighed. 

“The only ones worried about the magic are you three and the rats talking in the walls. Oh and Luisa and Tia (Y/N). Luisa’s eye was twitching all night while Tia (Y/N) was in her family’s pottery shop, she barely got any sleep.*squeak*” Dolores explained from behind them before walking away.

“The rats in the walls?” 

“Mama?” 

Lusia brought the table as Abuela instructed everyone to the table for their daily schedule and meal time. With Casita bringing the perfect amount of chairs for everyone as the family began filling in the seats. As the twins sat next to Augustin as their mother and sister sat across from them beside Julieta. They cringed seeing Mirabel steal Tia Pepa’s chair to sit next to Lusia but Tia Pepa was calmed down by her husband. Now that Dolores mentioned it they noticed bags under their mother’s eyes and she seemed to be in deep thought. The two glanced at each worriedly for their mother’s health. 

“Family. We are all thankful for Antonio’s wonderful-” Abuela began to say before noticing animals on her seat. 

“Gift.” 

“I told them to warm up your seat.” Antonio said, smiling innocently at her.

“Thank you, Tonito. I’m sure we can put your blessings into good use.” Abuela smiled before shooing the animals.  Antonio smiled brightly when seeing his father giving him a thumbs up and when a butterfly landed on his nose. Giggling he turned to see Imelda giving him a small smile before facing forward. 

“You do!” Mirabel shouted as she banged her hand on the table before pointing at Lusia. Carlos sighed as Oscar gave his cousins a concerned look. He wasn’t sure how to feel with everything happening. With the interruption Abuela made Casita bring Mirabel’s sit next to her  

“We should never take our miracle for granted. So today we will work twice as hard.” Abuela announced. Carlos groaned but hissed in pain when someone kicked his leg. He glared at his sister who glared back. But stopped when a cup of abuelita chocolate was placed in front of them including Oscar. The three looked up to see their mother as she gave them a smile before looking back at Abuela.