Steps Closer to the Truth

Like they expected their mother sat at the bottom of the tree ‘where it all began’, Carlos liked to call it.  She sat on a blanket as she had a pitcher of jamaica and a plate full of Cocada.

“Hola, hijos.” They heard her saw as she gave them a smile. Mirabel sat down on the woman’s right while the twins went to her left. The young girl glanced at her cousins who were already staring at her, taking a deep breath before she looked at the older woman. 

“We…We want to learn about Tio Bruno.” Mirabel said. This caused the woman’s smile to flatten a bit but it was still there. Looking at the three teens in front of her she couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Where did all this come from?” She asked them and she watched in amusement as the three teens glanced at each other worriedly while scrambling with their words. Especially when her two sons were making Mirabel do the talking since her sons couldn’t lie to her. She always found out one way or another and she wouldn’t even try. 

“We’re just curious Tia (Y/N).” Mirabel laughed nervously, the twins nodded quickly, agreeing with their cousin. The woman raised an eyebrow not believing them but didn’t question any further. 

“Bruno wasn’t only my husband, he was my best friend. He was misunderstood, different but that’s what made him so interesting. He wasn’t at all what the rumors were, I knew the real him. He’s the sweetest and kindest man I have ever met. Despite what everyone says, I don't regret marrying him. This ring is my most prized possession not only because he gave it to me but he personally made them himself.” 

“What about his vision? What did he see?” Mirabel asked. 

“He must’ve seen something horrible if he fled like that. I’m just worried if he’s safe or not. It doesn’t feel like ten years have passed.“ 

“Do you know why he left?” Oscar asked his mother softly as he filled her cup. Looking down she only shook her head. 

“Bruno always did things for a reason. But I know one thing for sure, leaving his family must’ve been the hardest decision he had ever made.” 

“How do you know that? He left…with no remorse whatsoever. How do you know if he truly loved us?” Carlos finally asked, he was quiet the entire time. Oscar held his brother's hand as he felt him shake from beside him. (Y/N) felt it too, still looking forward she grasped her son's hand.  

“Because he loved all three of you uncontrollably. There was a point where he told me he had everything as he looked at you.” 

Carlos didn’t say anything as there wasn’t anything for him to say. He only leaned against his mother.  

“Anything else we should know about Bruno?” Mirabel asked, she was curious about her Tío and even though she was determined about saving the Miracle she still wanted to know the real him since it was forbidden to talk about him with other family members. 

"Well he likes rats, when we were younger I made little clothing for them." The woman sprinkled in the fact. Now this brought Oscar’s attention as he himself has a pet rat. He never knew where this obsession came from, until now. 

“Gracias Tía (Y/N) but we should be going now.” Mirabel apologized as the two brothers followed suit.    

“You three be careful. Especially if you're going to Bruno’s room it’ll be a trip.” She smiled seeing the three children’s confused faces. She frowned as she watched the children head towards Casita. 

“It’s all a matter of time. Where are you Bruno.” The woman whispered to herself as played with her ring.