48

As the morning sun rose, the people would come out with weary faces, eager to stretch their bodies, or for a chat with the others, but that day, they seemed a little more excited than usual.

“Did the enemy disengage?” A voice from the crowd spoke out.

Freya stopped and pondered, curiosity edging her on for a moment, but she knew better as she quickly eradicated the thought and went to work.

***

“Your Majesty, did you rest well?”

Freya bustled into the tent as she inquired, but the second she looked at Lucius- at his glowing figure- she was at loss for words. It was different- he looked different than when he was wearing his typical armor. He’d donned on a shirt that fits well on his broad figure and he was draped with a cape that came up to his waist, secured with a rope made of gold to his chest.

His blonde hair looks like they’re shining twice as much.

Freya stood lost in her thoughts while Lucius glared at her with displeasure.

“…You are late.”

“I came at the same time as the usual.”

He tore a sharp glance towards her and Freya immediately busied herself, putting her head down and pretending to work. She was cleaning off dust in the corner of the tent when she heard Lucius beckoning her.

“Come tidy my hair.”

“…Me?”

Wasn’t that something a manservant was responsible for?

“I suppose you were planning on getting paid without working, then?”

“N- No, Your Majesty.”

Freya grabbed a comb hastily and placed herself behind a seated Lucius. She cleared her throat, confused, but started combing the Crown Prince’s hair.

‘How is his hair so smooth?’ She wondered begrudgingly as she ran his fingers through his gold locks.

It was miles from her messy uncooperative hair which she barely paid any attention to as she woke every morning.

“What are you wearing?” The Prince inquired, his voice marred with disgust. “ Are you trying to be a man?” He asked, his eyes placed on her menacingly.

Freya kept her mouth shut, refusing to give in as Lucius barked for a tailor and gave him instructions.

“Make this woman a pair of clothing that might belong on her body- not draped around her ungracefully like a bag”.

Freya thought about clothes being made for her by a tailor and she shuddered.

It seems like I misjudged His Highness. She was bemused.

Freya opened her mouth, unsure, as she twisted her body.

“I don’t really need the dress, I’m okay with my own.”

“It is for preserving my image and my dignity- I cannot have the people working for me looking like ordinary peasants.”

His cold and brutal words cooled her cheeks immediately.

Of course, I couldn’t be caught thinking any differently.

Freya’s hands roughened with shame and anger.

“Are you attempting to pull out all of my hair?”

“I- I apologize, Your Highness.”

When Freya finished, Lucius stood up and led them towards the opening of the tent. As they made their exit, a huge swarm of people- people Freya had never seen before- enveloped the tent. People threw flowers and played drums while Freya stood and gaped at them.

“Your Majesty Lucius, may Diana bless you!” Some shouted enthusiastically.

Among the throngs of people, a man-made a grand and wild entrance by jumping off his horse. He was tall and his girth wide. Freya watched his portly belly as he made his way towards them, with flashy colorful clothes which had flowers adorned on them.

So, that is what nobles look like.

Freya contemplated as she chewed on her lip. Her eyes widened with every step he made toward them but she worked her best to retain her calm. She understood Lucius’ appearance now- he was preparing to meet his guest.

“Welcome to my court, Count Adelion.”

Lucius spoke grandly while opening his arms to greet the guest. The two of them moved to the grand tent that was set up for the Count.

“I hope you don’t mind me calling you here, instead of my palace Count Adelion. As you understand, we are still in pursuit of a war with the enemy and I cannot risk making a trip back to the palace.”

“Oh no, I completely understand, Your Highness. You do not have to explain yourself.” The Count spoke with highly exaggerated tones while he gyrated in his seat.

The steward cleared his throat as he called out;

“Your Majesty, Selena of Adelion.”

Everyone’s eyes turned towards her as she made her way through the tent. A breathtaking woman with fiery red hair and large and transparent eyes.

Freya gasped as she watched the lady- not much older than her- walk in the tent with her chin tilted upwards. She knew she was regal. Along with her mesmerizing eyes, Selena had pouty red lips that glistened with moisture. Her hair- the color of deepest red was draped around her head with the help of shiny pearl accessories, her curls falling down her slender back with a grace Freya would have never been able to muster by herself. Her petite figure was decorated with a white dress and soft frills that swished pleasantly as she glided through the room.

She’s an angel, just like the one in my dreams. She watched Selena with a thumping heart.

The daughter of Count, Selena, bowed elegantly and turned her eyes towards Lucius with warmth as she slowly raised her head.

“Your Majesty Lucius, I’ve missed you.”

Freya’s heartbeat paced at her voice and her greeting.

‘Was she Lucius’ fiancée?’ She wondered and tore her fingernail in the process. She bit back the pain as she focused her gaze back onto Lucius.

She had been observing Lucius for some time now and he didn’t seem to be interested in ladies. Freya had always seen him with Gemini and Herro, either sparring or strategizing, his head bent over his maps and letters. He was different from most men- he didn’t seem interested in enjoying his free time drinking or frisking around with women.

He isn’t like most men because he has already acquired a goddess- he doesn’t need anyone else.

No matter how beautiful a maiden was, she couldn’t compete with Selena’s blinding beauty.

I assumed he was a desolate man, but it seemed His Highness The Crown Prince could be capable of romance.

Freya stood behind Lucius’ chair with burning cheeks, unbeknownst to Count Adelion and his daughter’s knowing observation.

“Your Majesty, I see your taste hasn’t changed since the last we met?”

The Count joked lightly.

Lucius realized that the Count referred to Freya, and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. To those who weren’t aware, Freya in her manly clothing would look like an Adonis.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••