60

“I don’t care if he believes lies but this isn’t fair, I got hurt because of him,” Freya mused bitterly as she bit against the pain of her freshly scalded hand.

It felt like the universe was working against her at that moment as all her ailments sprang to life just then, the ache in her ankle, the burning pain from her hand, and the scratches on her body. She grimaced, thinking about how she’d been the one to save Lucius. She had dragged him to the cave, washed and changed his clothes, making sure he didn’t succumb to the poison.

If it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t even be here! She yelled at Lucius in her thoughts. Her thoughts flashed to the moment when they’d almost been caught by the enemy because of Lucius’ moans. A shiver trembled down her spine and she imagined how they would’ve fared if she hadn’t stopped him in time.

To think what she had to do to stop him caused a heat spread in Freya’s body and her brain blanked. She couldn’t reveal all that, it was too late- and too risky.

Freya’s fingers brushed her lips thoughtfully.

“What happened to your hand?” Lucius demanded angrily leaning forward, bringing Freya back to the present. She jumped as her vision zeroed back onto him, hiding her hand behind her back, silently cursing herself for showing him. She wondered how he would react if she did end up telling him the truth.

While her thoughts battled on the best ways she could dissuade this conversation, Lucius rose forward, gripping her wrist furiously bringing it between them. He exuded cold rage.

“How were you burned?” He asked this time, his voice digging at her sharply like daggers.

She looked at him with confusion and annoyance, she was the one who was hurt, why was he acting so harshly?

“I burned myself accidentally while making tea,” she lied as she looked at him directly, her eyes paining due to the fresh flare of heat that rushed through her hand because of his majesty’s death-like grip.

She lied because she didn’t want to cause any drama, besides, even if she did tell anyone, who would they believe- the esteemed daughter of a Count or a simple servant girl?

Finally, she whimpered because of his majesty’s force and he noticed, his eyes widening for a fraction before he let her go, stalking back to his seating place while glaring at her angrily. He leaned back, his stare on her permanent, and Freya felt small and useless under his gaze.

“I do not like it when my people act carelessly, be more careful,” He commanded. Freya felt a stab of annoyance but didn’t retaliate, choosing to nod slowly.

“Come here,” Lucius said, coughing lightly. Freya went towards him, sitting next to him at his directive.

“I wasn’t able to use my arm the entire day because of the poison, it seems it was really strong,” He said as he frowned at his arm.

Freya stiffened, it was the same arm she’d slept on that night. If he knew, she’d feel the cold glint of his blade soon. She shook her head, hoping to dissipate her thoughts.

“I’m sure we’ll find out what kind of poison it is soon, Herro is examining it rigorously,” Lucius continued and Freya nodded. “That is good, you shouldn’t have to go through something like that again,” She said.

Lucius smiled grimly, but then his gaze traveled over her body, grazing her hands, her feet, and he looked straight at her. “So tell me, for someone who stayed in a cave calmly while I fought death, why do you seem to have more wounds?”

Freya froze, wondering what lie she could conjure up. “Well… when I was in the cave, I had to fight off a very ferocious beast to claim my space,” She finally said, immediately beating herself over her answer. Lucius raised his eyebrow, his lips curving slightly- almost imperceptible. “What kind of a beast might that be?” He asked, his tone lighter.

“Well… it was medium-sized but it had this weird yellowish fur and ferocious teeth,” Freya said and she nodded, hoping her lie would ring true.

“Huh, a yellowish furred, medium-sized ferocious beast, I see,” Lucius replied, watching Freya’s flustered expression with amusement. He leaned back and his body shook a little. Surprised, Freya looked at the man and realized he looked like he was trying to contain his laughter. She grasped at any ideas which would help explain his behavior. A moment ago, he looked as if he were going to kill her, and now he was laughing?

Freya was baffled by his behavior. She wondered if the poison had made him act this way or if he was like this usually. Either way, his attitude scared her and she wished to run.

His attention was caught on her wounds again and his expression sobered. “Show Hero your wounds when he arrives,” he said in his natural domineering voice. Freya paled slightly. He wanted her to be healed by his Royal Wizard? The man reserved only for royals and nobles? Such kindness didn’t suit him.

“That is okay, Your Majesty, I cannot fathom being healed by a wizard,” She replied.

Lucius looked appalled at her suspicious expression and ran a hand over his face.

“I- I don’t like to see you like this, all bruised and battered. It is better if you heal quickly,” he mumbled.

Ah, so that was his reason. Freya rolled her eyes away from his vision and dug her fingers in her palms, feeling stupid for thinking he’d do anything for her. It was all for him.

She grimaced, looking at him while he lay back on the sofa, his eyes closed leisurely. She stood up, hating him for evaporating whatever affection she’d built for him.