62

Freya already knew this, she’d dreaded it for weeks and now she dreaded what she understood to be the Count’s proposition. “If you do not have any place to turn to, you can come back with us to the Adelion estate. I will say you well,” He said and stepped forward.

“I do not have the skills you need, I will prove useless,” Freya reasoned as she stepped back, careful not to fall in the water behind her. “You don’t need to do much, I’ll feed and clothe you,” the Count replied, his voice lilting with the disgusting excitement which shone on his face. Freya kept seeing flashes of Shilo in his appearance and felt a wave of sickness attack her belly.

“Please excuse me, his Majesty is looking for me,” Freya managed to get out and ran, not looking behind. She reached Lucius’ tent panting heavily and tried to compose herself as best she could before she walked in.

Without looking up from the papers he was holding, Lucius grumbled, “You’re late.”

“Apologies, Your Majesty” Freya replied as she set to work.

“I had to miss breakfast and was wondering if I’d miss lunch too,” he resumed his grumbling and Freya pretended to listen intently while rubbing a corner of the table she stood in front of with a cloth.

“And Freya, you’re not allowed to drink anymore,” he said and Freya flinched, looking at Lucius dumbfounded. How did he know she drank the night before? Did she smell that much?

She’d washed herself to rid of the smell as much as possible but it seemed she’d failed. Freya tried to sniff her sleeves inconspicuously while eyeing Lucius. She realized he had glasses on- she’d never seen him with glasses on.

With brushed-back hair and spectacles on his handsome face, Lucius looked like a wise scholar at that moment. While Freya stared at his face, he commanded, “You are to sleep in my tent from now on.”

“I’m sorry, what?” She asked, feeling slightly dizzy. This morning had been too much for her, and now Lucius’ words had seemed to throw her off balance. She knew the he barely let anyone in due to his hypersensitivity to sound. Sleeping with a man in the same tent also unnerved her. She’d stayed with Archer but it was comfortable being with him since he was like family.

“Your Majesty, I-” Freya started but her words trailed off and he rose his eyebrows at her. She seemed to be imagining it but while Lucius maintained a serious expression on his face, his ears had reddened a little.

“I am doing this for security reasons,” he said simply while continuing to work on his papers.

“Why don’t I work at night instead of the day, that way you and I both can be safe,” Freya suggested hopefully.

“Have you perhaps developed any feelings for me?” He asked blatantly and Freya’s mouth hung open. “Pardon me?” She huffed and he shrugged. “I simply asked if you were going to do anything to me, having succumbed to your feelings towards me.”

Freya stuttered incoherently, surprised and annoyed at his words. There was a sheer difference between His Majesty and a lowly servant, and come to think of it, he wasn’t even her preferred choice in men!

His behavior towards her had been weird from the start, from bumping heads at their first meeting to him asking her to bathe him- she’d tried to get through it all. He had various weird rumors based around him but despite that, he was still somewhat normal. But the only thing that dipped in his favor was his blonde hair and good looks! Nothing else.

Lucius must’ve noticed the indecision behind her eyes as he huffed and leaned forward. “This is just an extension of your duty, nothing else.”

“Why do I have to do this? Aren’t we leaving soon enough?” She argued half-heartedly.

“Have you forgotten the contract you signed to be here?” he challenged back, his stare unwavering.

Freya stopped, she knew that the contract would hold her in place, and if she argued any further she might be accused of actually having feelings for the King, and she couldn’t handle that. She sighed and nodded resignedly.

She looked around the tent, wondering where she’d sleep when Lucius interrupted her. “What are you looking for?” He asked. “For a place to sleep, Your Majesty,” Freya answered dryly.

Lucius raised his eyebrows but didn’t react. “I’ve already planned that for you,” he announced.

He resumed his observation of the documents and pointed towards his bedroom. Freya looked at his hand with surprise and slowly went towards his room. When she peeked inside, it seemed like Lucius’s bed had been moved to a corner and a small bed was placed on the opposite side of the room. Appalled, Freya looked back at the disinterested Lucius and asked, “What… is this?”

“I have sensitive hearing, I might not be able to sleep peacefully if you moved around outside the room,” he said. Freya almost rolled her eyes. If he had such a problem, he could sleep alone like he always did. She wanted to ask what this security problem was but couldn’t bring herself to form the words when she remembered the poisonous arrow his Majesty had suffered through.

Lucius looked up at the girl in front of him and smiled. Slowly sipping the antidote Herro had concocted for him, he drummed his fingers on the table in front of him. “Ah Freya, what shall I do with you,” he said cattily.

He’d gotten Herro’s invite late at night but he had no intention of drinking and chatting. He’d just won a battle and was looking towards the many more he’d have to face. He had many more enemies left to face and could not rest until he’d conquered every single one of them. However, when he noticed Freya’s name in the message, he’d felt restless.

She wanted to leave the camp so badly and now she’s hanging out with Herro?

He wasn’t pleased and he left his tent to correct her actions. When he arrived at Gemini’s tent, he heard her before he saw her. Her loud drunken slurs rang out in the night and he couldn’t comprehend her words but smiled despite himself.

He brimmed with anger as he realized the other men were looking at her. He ran his fingers across the half-moon pendant, grateful he hadn’t lost it. At that thought, he’d felt so nauseated he’d left to cool his head with water.

***

Archer didn’t act surprised when Freya informed him of her move. “It’s good, you’re closer to his Majesty and you can serve his needs at any time,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Aren’t you worried?” She replied as she packed her stuff.

“Well, if I had to choose I’d be more concerned about His Majesty than you.”

Freya huffed and slapped Archer’s arm. “What is that supposed to mean?” She demanded irritatedly.

Archer gave her a one-sided smirk replying, “Your sleeping habits are, well, pretty bad.”

“Hah, no one else sleeps more gently than I do.” Archer huffed and said, “Just because you sleep in one place doesn’t mean you’re exactly gentle.” With that, he imitated loud snoring, earning another smack from the enraged Freya.