prologue

𝕝𝕒𝕤𝕥 𝕤𝕦𝕞𝕞𝕖𝕣

with the wind in her hair, hazel smiles as the fresh smell of seaweed and the seagulls rushing by her in the sky. cruel summer by taylor swift plays in the background as she takes a left toward the beach.

it was a good summer, summer full of surfing, tanning and lust. conrad fisher was hazels first love, her first everything. they met when she was 3 and he 4. 

summer loves were always the best, even taylor swift agreed.

the fishers and clarkes were a close-knit group of family friends. from cocktails every saturday, to weekly dinners. and the conklins were their shared best friends. belly and hazel had been best friends since their first summer together when they were younger. 

hazel was a big sister to belly, someone she could run to incase of emergency or if she didn't want laurel to find out. 

pulling into the parking lot of cousins beach, she takes her keys out from the ignition. throwing the towel over her shoulder and her bag over the other, hazel opens the back door of her wrangler. her white billabong board stretched over two seats of her car. two hands snake there way around hazels waist as she goes in for her board. her back arches as she jumps back. turning her head, she finds the two fisher boys stood behind her smirking. 

the eldest fisher boy pulls her into arms reach, planting a kiss onto her forehead he smiles "hey haze".

smiling into his chest, the two are stopped in their trance when jeremiah gags from behind them. conrad punches his brother in the stomach without looking in his direction, keeping his vision on hazel and only hazel.

"need help?" conrad asks his girlfriend, pointing to her car. hazel nods her head slightly and moves out the way while she watches him pull it out.

the smell of strawberry scented wax roams through the beach air. jeremiah pulls his board off the sand and removes his shirt. "are you two coming or you just going to stay here and mack on each other?" jere smirks as he starts walking down the beach.

conrad snickers to himself, disbelief of his brothers attitude that day. hazel smirks and starts removing her clothing, revealing her almost bare torso and bikini bottoms. leaning down to her ankle, she straps the board to her tightly. 

"coming?" she asks her boyfriend as she marches down the beach. conrad still at the car, watches as she prances down the sand. her brunette hair swaying with the rhythm of the wind, her tan oil glimmering in the sun and her bathing suit fitted tightly across her body. 

finally releasing himself from the trance, conrad races after her in the water. his board in one arm as his other was around her waist. the two were known around town as soulmates, the two kids in cousins who may actually make it. but it was hard when conrad left at the end of every summer. 

not that hazel minded, she knew they always came back to this town. every summer, and it always ended the same. happy and the best summer ever. 

eventually reaching the water, hazel paddles out toward the sun. her arms already exhausted, she leans on her board with her wrist resting on the top of the water. 

a large splash moves past her, jeremiah and conrad are splashing away beside her. jere's giggles are heard from shore, conrads smile as bright as the moonlight. 

suddenly a splash causes conrad to ache in pain, his palm stuck to his eye. hazel rushes to his side, placing both hands against his chest and back she runs her finger across his cheek "connie what happened? are you okay?" she asks. conrad forces a smile and nods his head "yeah just got salt in my eye, i'm gonna head to the shower and rinse it. i'll be back".

hazel and jeremiah watch as the brunette paddles back to shore, his hand still stuck to the one eye. hazel in attempt of hiding a laugh looks to jere, who already happens to be silently laughing. 

"your an asshole" she splashes him as they keep surfing. 

***

ten minutes had passed, and hazel was growing concerned at conrads lack of arrival. announcing to jeremiah that she was going to see where conrad was, hazel paddles to shore. her sunburn throbbing as the water crashes against her. 

she throws her board to the ground and walks around the corner to the showers. finding two familiar voices, hazel peeps around the corner to find conrad and brooke talking.

brooke pumping her chest out, and conrad finding the conversation unamusing, hazel silently snickers to herself.

when she quiets, she watches as brooke leans into her boyfriend. attempting to kiss conrad, brooke is pushed away. which brings a huge smile over the clarke girls face. 

"your so bipolar conrad" brooke hisses and rolls her eyes, the fisher boy scoffs "im sorry?". still listening to the two, hazel moves slightly closer to hear more clearly "so what? last week just didn't matter to you?". hazel furrows her eyebrows and watches conrad's facial expression "nothing happened between us brooke. it was a stupid game of seven minutes in heaven, i didn't even touch you".

brooke scoffs and smashes her lips against conrad, and he returns the favour?

launching herself off the wall, hazel's body clashes against jeremiah's, who looks down to her concerned "haze what happened? are you oka-?" his sentence is paused when she pushes past him and runs toward her car. 

the scream of her name causes conrad to dart around the corner, only to find his girlfriend springing to her car and his brother death glaring him. 

hazel rolls her car into drive and speeds out from the beach. tears, heartbreak and taylor swift songs.