chapter four

𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒓𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒆 - todays chapter will be cut short. i've had covid for the past few days and im not feeling my best. next chapters will be longer. thank you :)

with her hair wrangled in her damp towel, maple syrup and waffles infiltrate hazels nostrils. her bare body exposed, the sage green bikini tugging on her skin as the water dripped down from her body.

turning the corner into the kitchen, hazel is met with the others. the first day of summer. annual breakfast. 

standing over the stove-top, conrad watches as hazel leans against the corner of the kitchen. her eyes full amusement, it was the clarke girls favourite time of year. and her smile said it all. until her eyes locked with his, and it disappeared in a matter of seconds. 

except the look wasn't anger. it was sadness, fear, exhaustion. 

flipping the pancake on its back, conrad points to the pan. asking her with his eyes, if she wanted it. if she wanted to eat that stack of pancakes, with maple syrup and strawberries.

the one with the infinity sign. their tradition.

her attention being pulled somewhere else, hazels name is called on the other side of the kitchen. jeremiah and steven, throwing fruit in each others mouths.

children she giggled to herself, focusing back to the boy. he's no longer in the kitchen, but in the dining room. he's staring out the window, watching as the day goes by. she pulls herself out of thought, stacking three pancakes over each other. toping it with the maple syrup, hazels hand freezes. she stares at the towered food, the bottle in her hand she quickly spins it in a infinity rotation before rushing back up the stairs to her room. 

***

as the outro of 'teardrops on my guitar' excludes, a soft knock captures her attention "come in" she raises her voice slightly. setting her guitar down on her side, hazel is welcomed by belly walking in with a towel over her shoulder, belly sits beside her best friend. 

"we are going to the beach, and you are coming with us" belly wiggles her eyebrows. hazel sarcastically laughs as she shakes her head profusely "no belly". begging and pleading belly benches towards hazel "please haze. you don't have to speak to him, just ignore". 

hazel lets the silence roam. the beach was her escape, her comfort. conrad was her shadow, everywhere she was, he was there. 

she knew she had to speak to him. but was she ready? no.

"fine" she sighs. uncovering herself from the blankets, hazel walks to her dresser. rummaging through the drawer, she settles on the black bikini and the white crochet cover up. 

excusing herself to the bathroom, hazel tugs the tight material over her curves. sitting it comfortably across her, she slides her arms through the cover up. 

"okay fine lets do this" she says walking out from her ensuite, belly sat on her best turns to her best friend "hazel you look hot as fuck" but she pauses with a giggle and a face of realisation "wait. isn't that conrads favourite bikini".

shock writes itself over hazels face, "do you think i should go change it?" hazel stresses. her hands patting down her body. hazel looks to belly who's shaking her head "no. leave it, now lets go or we'll be late".

***

the warm grains of sand tickle between their toes as they stroll down the beach. looking down into the distance, hazel sees jeremiah, steven and conrad setting up the volleyball net. 

a grin creeps its way over her face as they near them. 

conrads eyes stop. his heart stops. he watches as hazel smiles next to belly, her eyes shining in the sunrise. and her bikini. fuck he thought. his favourite bikini, the way it tugged her curves. the way it complimented her olive skin. 

suddenly a loud pound hits his head, jeremiah threw the dodgeball at his brothers head. the fisher boy looks behind him to find his brother and best friend laughing. 

hearing his voice being shouted over the beach, conrad finds a platinum blonde chasing towards him. fuck sake he thinks to himself as she crashes against him, her hand touching over his face "oh connie are you okay". 

he sighs loudly, pushing her away firmly he grunts "im fine. just go away". 

conrad looks to the girl, thinking she would be pissed. instead he caught her smiling behind him. she was smiling at hazel. with a betrayed look upon her face, hazel throws her bag on the ground and sprints in the opposite direction.

fucking brooke.