22

(A/N: I rewrote this chapter like 3-4 times, forgive any errors please and thank you.)

...

"You're being extra quiet today," Yae pointed out, "And you're not praying either."

"Oh, Guuji Yae—"

"I told you, you can call me Yae."

"Sorry, it just feels wrong, you're so important and all..."

"Ah, if there's nothing I hate more it's someone who follows every little moral rule because they feel inclined to do so."

"Then...Ya-Yae," he hesitated, "I apologize for my silence."

"You can drop the formal speech too."

"You're really digging into me," he winced, "Okay, I'm sorry. I've just been thinking of my wife."

"You're wife? That's a first."

"And my last," he sighed happily, "She's absolutely wonderful, Yae."

"Is it that girl you've been dragging around Inazuma City instead of coming for your fourth, nay, your third prayer session to the Shogun?"

"Y-Yes."

"Ah, she's blinded you with her love surely."

"I'd let her blind me if it made her happy."

"Well," Yae attempted to move on, "I already noticed you two were quite close. I was wondering when you'd bring it up but you've seemed to have been rushing in and out these days."

"Sorry," he bowed his head slightly, as if ashamed, "She has been taking much of my time."

"Yes, you said you were thinking of her too. Is something wrong?"

"I...yes." He sighed bitterly, "I told you briefly about her, right? She's a girl I brought with me from Liyue because I could properly care for her here."

"Right."

"This illness, I don't even know what to make of it. It's like nothing I've seen in my whole career. Even Liyue doctors knew nothing about it."

"Oh, it sounds very rare."

"It must be," he nodded, agreeing, "It isn't transmittable by any direct contact or even exchange of—" he looked at Yae and cleared his throat, "exchange of fl-fluids, I think."

"It's good you're putting yourself at risk to find out everything you can about this dangerous illness, Masato."

"Please don't," he flushed before clearing his throat again and trying to move on, "Anyways, it's really unnatural. I have plentiful medication for it but it's not making it go away, it's just extending her life a little."

"Isn't that good news? I'm sure that's better than what the doctors back at Liyue could come up with."

"S-Sort of? She was getting her medication at a pharmacy there, I just made an enhanced version of it really..."

"And you stole the recipe, how shameless."

"I traded for the recipe, I would not have stole it."

"You wouldn't steal the recipe for the woman you love?"

"Of course!" He suddenly blurted before raising a finger, "If there was no way to require it legally I would have stolen it from under that man's nose easily!"