24

(A/N: Thank you so much for being patient.)

The gentle crashing of mellow waves along the sandy shore; the fading orange to blue evening sky; and the sound of a passing melody that carried itself through the wind and endowed his surroundings with a much needed serenity.

He heard this melody.

With haste, he motioned the young girl beside him to pick up her pace, and stepped into view of a young man seated on one of the rocks on the beach. His eyes were closed, focused only on the leaf in his hands. As if in appreciation, the wind fluttered through his platinum blonde hair, and the little raise in his head looked like he was enjoying it.

With just a glance he could tell that despite acting so ignorant, daring to play a tune in a place where any wandering enemies could attack him, he was being painfully cautious of his surroundings. So much so that when his boots sounded against the sand towards him, he tilted his head his way, closing song with a beautifully sounding ending.

Soft red eyes landed on him now, and the man set down the leaf before fully turning his body his way. They were both waiting for the other to fill in the now void of silence; mostly eyeing each other reflexively for their own safety.

"What's your name?"

"Moriyama Mitsuki. You are Kaedehara Kazuha, right?"

"Yes. Captain Beidou filled me in on your request to meet me. She told me on and on about what she could remember of you, and yet never told me why you insisted this meeting."

"Likely because I did not tell her either," Mitsuki said matter of factly, "Do tell her I appreciate her words."

"I will. Now, what did you want from me?"

"I think you are aware of what I want. If Beidou has mentioned things she can remember of me, then surely you can offer a guess?"

"Pardon me saying, but I don't see why I need to play guessing games when you can clearly tell me yourself."

"I could, but where is the fun in that?"

The little girl beside him glanced between them with worry stretching her brow. Kazuha looked at her, and offered a gentle smile before looking back up at him.

"Who's this?"

He feigned a smile, "Guess."

The wandering samurai let out a small sigh, as if reaffirming his own restraint to question his rudeness when he could just walk away right now. However, Beidou had promised him he was not as bad as he seemed, and he's heard more about him than he let on. Thanks to the Resistance, of course.

Yes, about a week ago the Vision Hunt Decree had finally been put to a halt when they launched an attack on the Raiden Shogun's doorstep. He had momentarily joined with the Resistance in their battle on Nazuchi Beach, and helped push them back.

During the battle, Kujou Sara was the first to speak his name, claiming that he had surrendered his vision. Gorou and Kokomi did not seem happy about this.

After the fight, he had overheard the leader and general discussing briefly about a matter seemingly unrelated to the fight. It wasn't in his place to eavesdrop; it wasn't like he went searching for this information on him. The people at Fort Fujitou spoke about an attack on the base; they questioned their protectors of their whereabouts; and they didn't give a proper answer.

He managed to get something from the general though.

"I heard you and Her Excellency talking a bit. I do apologize, it wasn't my intent to eavesdrop."