I

Moving schools was hard, and leaving my friends was even harder. It didn't help that we were now halfway through the second term of the school year. I had woken up at seven this morning and was now eating breakfast and having a cup of coffee.
"Mum, I'm nervous about starting school again," I said, trying to reassure myself that everything would be fine. I had a month off school because I was sick with covid, I wasn't sure how far behind I was now. Going from a private school to a public school for the first time since year 9 was going to be a shock.
"You'll be fine, keep your head down and keep quiet" mum said as she had breakfast, I nodded and left to get changed into my school uniform. 

At eight-thirty I started walking to school, listening to Paramore as I made my way to school. At nine o clock, I held my head high, fueling my confidence as I walked down the hallway to pick a locker. I opened it and put my stuff inside, grabbed my computer and then closed the locker. I headed to my first class, digital, and introduced myself to the teacher. I sat next to a girl with spilt dyed hair, one half was pink and the other half was a natural brown. I thought she looked cool but didn't say anything as I started on my work, I dont think she realized I was there. An hour and a half later, we had homeroom I checked my timetable to see which room I was in. I walked down the hallway to room 13, which was a few doors down from the digital classroom in room 10. 

"Welcome! you must be the new girl" The teacher stated, I mentally screamed at her but nodded in response. Nothing about me screamed "girl" they only knew because my "mother" told them. 
"Yeah, I'm Chris," I told her, wanting to use the masc version of my name. The teacher nodded
"Everyone welcome Chrissy!" I bit my tongue as I sat in the back of the class, no one would ever see me as a boy, I guess I don't pass as well as I thought I did. When the bell rang, I followed my class to assembly. As I walked into the gym I spotted the girl from digital sitting next to someone, I decided to talk to them.

"Hi I'm Chris and I'm new here, can I sit with you guys?" I asked while trying my best not to stutter. They both smiled as they introduced themselves
"Yeah, I'm Grace and this is Caitlin" Caitlin nodded before speaking, "But everyone calls me Cece," she finished. We made small talk to get to know each other. 
"What are your pronouns?" Grace asked me, I stuttered as I responded
"He/they" Cece nodded and replied
"She/they, Grace is she/her" I nodded in response. Once assembly was over we walked to the art room for lunch, we talked and sat on the couch. 

Before I knew it, the school day was over. I said goodbye to Grace and Cece before walking out to the car park where mum was waiting for me.
"How was school?" she asked while we drove home, I told her about today and the friends I had made. When we got home I did my chores, helped cook dinner then fell asleep. I had a really good day, I couldn't wait to go back.