Chpt 2: in which two witches make a new friend, and run for their lives

Viney's pov
Viney stopped for a moment. She needed to think for a second. Should she go comfort the mysterious crying girl, or take care of the crazy griffin that wanted to eat her. On one hand, she could be saving a life. But on the other hand, she could be in a lot of trouble if she doesn't take care of that griffin.

She started subconsciously pacing on the forest floor. A habit she has whenever she has to use her brain. Then she stepped on a twig and the crying witch stopped and looked up for a moment. Well, the brunette thought to herself, it looks like the universe has decided for me. No point in fighting it.

She stepped out from behind the trees to see a green haired girl sitting against a tree with her legs tucked to her chest. "Oh, um, hi. Sorry to interrupt your breakdown, but do you have room for one more?" Viney asked the greenette. Viney knew how sensitive the girl probably was right now, she she knew she needed to tread lightly. The green girl could do anything right now.

The girl by the tree looked visibly startled, and with good reason to be. She probably heard the griffin. "Oh- uh... sure?" Wow, Viney thought. That was surprisingly easy.

The green girl scooted over to make room for her against the tree stump. Green girl, Viney thought. She liked that nickname. She lightly walked over to the stump and sat down criss crossed, back against the hard three stump.

"I like your pajamas." Viney stated. The green girl blushed from embarrassment. She was wearing a purple t-shirt that said "bad girl coven" on it and sweatpants with ghosts on them. "Oh, t-thanks." She sniffled, wiping her eyes with her wrist, clearly trying to hide the fact she was crying. "Um, why are you in the forest this late?" Green girl asked.

"Oh, you know, just running from an angry griffin that's trying to turn me into a midnight snack. The usual." Viney said casually, earning a small chuckle from the girl sitting beside her. Yes! Progress! Viney thought. "So, what are you doing out here this late?"

"O-oh, just going for a w-walk you know, couldn't sleep. That's a-all."  The greenette stuttered out. Damn you are a terrible lier, miss mental breakdown. "You're not very convincing, green girl." Viney said, smiling the smallest bit. "Green girl?" The greenette questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, you do have green hair, and I need something to call you." Viney shrugged.

"Emira." Said the girl with green hair. "Emira Blight."

Viney turned her head to look towards Emira. "Now that is a very pretty name, miss Emira Blight." Viney could have sworn to have seen the faintest of blushes dusting Emira's cheeks, but Emira turned her head away before Viney could actually look.

"Eh, it's nothing special." Emira looked at the other girl. "So what can I call you?"

"Viney. Viney Maplewood." She held out her hand. The other girl took it and before she could shake her hand she was pulled closer to Viney. "Or you could call me the girl of your dreams." Viney winked at her.

Viney watched in amusement as Emira's face quickly became very similar to a tomato, letting her hand go. "So," she started. "Do you want to talk about it?" Viney's face quickly become one of concern and worry for the girl sitting next to her.

"Oh, uh... not really, but at the same time... I do?" Emira muttered out the last part so quietly that Viney almost didn't catch it. But Viney had good ears, as for beast keeping you had to have good ears to be able to know when a beast was sneaking around or about to pounce on you from every other corner.

"Well, if you need me to listen, I'm here. Or if you just want some company, I'm still here."  Viney assured the greenette.

The golden eyed girl played with her fingers and she sat for a moment. Did she really want to tell this girl she just met a few minutes ago what was really going on in her life? She told herself no, but deep down she knew she really did. To be able to open up to someone without fear of her parents was something she so desperately wanted, but she knew better. Besides, she didn't want to just burden some random girl she only knows the name of with her family problems. Only a jerk would do that, and Emira did not want to be a jerk.

As Emira started to get wrapped up in her thoughts she heard the green eyed girl say something. "You know, I think I'll also call you goldie, because your eyes are gold and they remind me of a golden-clawed saber tooth cat. You probably don't know what those are, but you should try to find out. They're pretty cool if you can look past the golden claws and giant teeth." Viney rambled on.

As Emira was just about to answer her new friend, she was cut off by a loud roaring in the not-so-far-away distance. "What the fuck is that noise coming from? That sounds like my mother when I get detention!" Emira exclaimed, as she stood up and held out a hand for Viney to take.

"That, is the griffin I told you I was running away from. Yeah, I kinda forgot about that whole thing until now, not gonna lie." Viney laughed nervously, taking green girls hand. Emira helped Viney up from the tree trunk as they stared at the trees crashing down in front of them.

And there it was, the beast itself, looking at them with hungry eyes.

"T-that thing isn't going to try to eat us," Emira said, turning to Viney while slowly trying to back away behind the tree, "right?"

Viney turned to Emira while slowly grabbing her hand. "Ahaha... no promises."

And then Viney ran. Dragging Emira behind her, she fucking ran. Was she going to let a cute girl she found crying in the forest be eaten by an angry griffin that wants to make them into witch spaghetti? No! No cute witch was going to die on Viney's watch.

"Not today, sister!" Viney yelled at the beast while dragging Emira behind her. She spotted a cave just up ahead of them. "In there!" She pointed towards the cave, yelling to Emira. Emira nodded. Going into some cave with a very pretty girl she just met? Who would say no to that?

They quickly dove into the cave as the beast carried on its wild witch chase, not noticing they disappeared from right in front of its beak.

————————————
Word count: 1136
A/n: second chapter, how are we feeling? Please give me tips on how to improve my writing, it would be greatly appreciated :) I'm also just finishing this chapter at 4:04 am, I should really start going to sleep at normal people hours