(26)

The Foxfire campus glimmers into view as Sophie steps out of her light leap.

"I never realized how beautiful this place is at night," Maruca exclaims, staring up at the glass pyramid.

Sophie can only nod in agreement; she had just been inside there a few hours ago, but now the pyramid is lit up from the inside, illuminating the surrounding buildings with a warm glow.

Beside her, Dex fiddles with the collar of his shirt. "This thing is so itchy," he grumbles.

Marella slaps his hand away. "It's going to keep bothering you if you keep touching it," she scolds, adjusting his collar for him.

He rolls his eyes. "Okay, mom."

"Hey, don't talk to your mother that way," Jensi jokes. Sophie laughs.

They had all spent the last couple hours getting ready for the dance at the Dizznee home in Rimeshire, leaving behind a mess of sequins and makeup and half-finished snacks. Sophie feels light, despite her serious conversation with Bronte and Mr. Forkle earlier. She hadn't even gotten a chance to fill in Dex and Maruca on Alvar's tribunal and the Vacker legacy, not wanting to spoil everyone's good mood.

"I know I've said this a billion times already," Marella says as they walk through the campus, "but Sophie, you look amazing in your dress."

"Oh my god, right?" Maruca fawns. "It's so weird seeing you wear something fancy for once. In a good way," she adds.

Sophie grins bashfully and gives a little twirl of her dress, the silver clouds and suns sparkling like stars. "Thanks, guys. You both look really pretty too."

Marella grins right back. Even under the night sky, she looks like she's glowing in her strapless red dress. Its shimmering skirt falls around her in folds, like a rose. Maruca is just as stunning decked out in gold jewelery and a dark purple dress lined with flowers.

Jensi gestures between himself and Dex. "Is anyone going to tell us we look pretty?"

"Pretty stupid, maybe," Marella retorts, earning her a shove from Jensi.

They reach the Foxfire ballroom, where the dance is already in full swing. Prodigies dressed in all manner of formalwear and ball gowns stream in and out of the grand entryway, chattering and laughing. A couple mentors stand at a table stacked with sparkly costume masks, handing them out to passing prodigies.

"It's not a masquerade without a mask," Dex declares, taking a gold one and fixing it over his face. "How do I look?"

Sophie giggles. "Not half bad, actually." The gold complements his formal red tunic surprisingly well. She chooses a silver mask with feathers to match her own dress.

The others grab their masks, and Marella drags Jensi off to the buffet tables in search of something to eat. Sophie eagerly scans the crowd swarming past them. She and Fitz had planned to meet just outside the ballroom, but with everyone wearing decorative masks, it makes it slightly trickier to identify anyone by face alone.

"Looking for your prince charming?" Dex asks dryly.

Sophie's face warms. "Well, he is my date, so...."

Just then she spots a familiar figure with broad shoulders and dark hair. Fitz catches her eye from across the crowd and waves as he makes his way towards her.

Dex sighs. "And that's my cue to leave," he grumbles. Maruca shoots a subtle wink at Sophie and mouths "good luck!" before following after him.

Sophie hardly notices because suddenly Fitz is standing in front of her, handsome and polished in a dark navy outfit and a matching mask. He pulls it off to reveal his sparkling teal eyes.