(13)

"Custard burst?"

Sophie looks up, blinking away the sunlight filtering into her room. Was it sunset already? "I'll pass, but thanks."

Grady raises his eyebrows. "Okay, if you're sure." He turns to leave, but something catches his eye. "Whoa—is that a Spyball?"

"Yep," she admits, clearing away the clutter to let him have a closer look. "It's unregistered, but Mr. Forkle lent it to me for emergencies."

Sophie had spent the past few days rifling through the Black Swan's files, hunting for evidence about the Lodestar Initiative and the Vackers that may or may not exist, and it's beginning to wear her down. She's suddenly self-conscious of how quickly she'd made a mess of the Ruewen's spare room in just a week, but luckily Grady didn't seem to notice or care.

"Wow," he breathes. "I haven't been active in the Black Swan in years, so the last time I saw a Spyball was.... well...." He trails off, but the pause hangs heavily in the air. Jolie.

Sophie squirms. "I'm sorry. If I'm making things uncomfortable. Because she was... because of Jolie." she blurts out.

Grady looks taken aback. "Of course not, Sophie," he tells her. "I'm sorry if you felt that way. It was only odd at first because you look so much like her. Given how much time and energy she invested in Project Moonlark—in you—it's almost like having her back with us." He chuckles. "You act like her sometimes, you know."

"Really?"

Grady raises his eyebrows. "You forget that all of us in the Black Swan had a hand in raising you. Your stubbornness, your drive, your loyalty..." He shrugs. "I saw all that in her, too."

Sophie flushes. "Must be a Moonlark thing."

Despite the grief in his eyes, Grady laughs. "I would say so." He nods at the papers scattered across her desk. "You look pretty busy. Anything interesting?"

"Files on the Vackers. Just researching any potential threats," she explains. "Most of which include the Neverseen. And Lodestar," she adds.

"Ah. Another Moonlark thing," Grady remarks quietly.

"The Neverseen?"

"Lodestar."

He doesn't say anything else, and Sophie doesn't push him on it.

"You're probably tired of hearing this, but... be careful." Grady smiles, but he has a distant look in his eyes. "I was always telling Jolie to slow down, but I'm afraid I was too overprotective sometimes. So whatever you do, Sophie... at least promise you'll be careful."

She blinks, a little confused by his sudden somber tone. "I promise."

"Atta girl." Grady ruffles her hair playfully. "I'm going to leave the custard bursts here. Just in case." He winks. "Don't stay up too late, okay?"

Sophie smiles. "Thanks, Grady. I won't."

Her running footsteps echo against the walls of the cavern. The rocky surface slips beneath her boots, uneven and unforgiving.

The thundering of a massive waterfall in the distance grows closer, like thousands of birds taking flight one by one on desperate, fluttery wings. She presses on, even as the air turns frigid and stale.

Failure, failure, failure. The words ring in her mind until they're as constant as the pounding of her heart. They're all dead and it's your fault.

She can feel him practically breathing down her neck. "Where are you, Moonlark?" he calls.

She clenches and unclenches her shaking fists. There's nowhere to run now.

Sophie jolts awake at her desk, drenched in a cold sweat. Beside her lies an empty plate of custard burst crumbs. Bright sunlight beams through the windows.

She shakes away the remnants of her dream and stretches groggily. It takes a few seconds before the realization hits her.

She's late for school.

Sophie grabs her things and rushes out the door in record time (ignoring Vertina's scandalized gasp as she speeds by), but by the time she gets to Foxfire, school has already started.

On the bright side, her first session is Elvin History and not Alchemy, although Sophie would be more than okay with having to miss out on either.

But on the other hand—she can't remember where her classroom is.

The first session is ten minutes in and Sophie is still running through the halls, trying and failing to recognize anything. Even with her photographic memory, the Foxfire hallways are a maze she can't hope to solve.

She rushes around a bend and collides with someone heading in the opposite direction. Books and papers go flying from the impact.

"Oh! Sorry!" the girl squeals. "I didn't see you there."

"No, it was my fault!" Sophie tells her. She kneels down to help the girl gather her things. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!" The girl stands and brushes herself off. She has pretty rosy cheeks and long, dark hair with tips as white as the Level Six cape she's wearing. "What about you?"

"I'm fine," Sophie replies. "Sorry, I'm just running late and I didn't think anyone would be in the hallway—"

"Hey, it's okay!" the girl reassures. "I'm Linh, by the way."

"Sophie."

Her eyes widen. "Ohh. You're the Sophie, aren't you?"

"... Maybe?"

"Wow. You're so pretty in person," Linh says.

Sophie feels herself turn bright red. "Th-thank you."

"No problem. It was really nice to meet you!"

"Wait, Linh." Sophie stops her as the other girl turns to leave. "If you don't mind, could you help me find my session?" she asks sheepishly. "I'm still getting used to finding my way around."

Linh beams. "I'd love to."

Sophie shows the other girl her schedule and follows her through the winding halls. She cringes when she realizes just how lost she was. "Thanks," says Sophie. "I have no idea how I'll get used to this."

Linh giggles. "You'll get the hang of it. It took my brother at least a year, but even he got there."

"I'm not making you late for anything, am I?"

Linh presses her lips together. "Nope. I should have my ability focus session right now, but they haven't found another mentor for me yet."

Sophie raises an eyebrow. "Another mentor?"

"Don't ask. They mentor me for a couple weeks, then refuse to teach me anymore." Linh pouts. "I can't imagine why. Hey, here's your classroom!"

Sophie looks up, relieved to find that she recognizes the area they're in. "Time to get an earful from Lady Dara," she sighs. "Thank you so much. You're seriously a lifesaver."

"No worries. I have a feeling we're going to run into each other again." Linh smiles brightly. "See you around!"