ISSUE #11

(Y/N) glanced around the room, noticing the changes in the sorcerer's appearance; gone were the robes and buzzed haircut, replaced by a fleecy dressing gown and short dark hair. 'Dr (L/N), you've been missing for over a year,' said Wong, 'people have been searching for you.' The Red Soldier nodded his head, approaching the Sorcerer Supreme. A shocked, almost frightened, expression took over Wong's face as (Y/N) got closer and closer to him, the glow from the lamps in the room lighting up his features. 'You – you're...' (Y/N) shushed him as he raised his hands, letting his magic infiltrate the sorcerer's mind and break the memory spell he'd cast upon him.

'I found the Book of the Damned,' (Y/N) stated, 'I truly am the Red Soldier.' Wong immediately lifted his hands into a defensive position, letting them conjure golden shields. 'I'm not going to hurt you, Wong,' (Y/N) assured him, taking a step back and raising his own hands in surrender, 'I just want your help.

'What have you done, Witch Boy?' spat the sorcerer, the glowing shields in his hands producing sparks, 'do you have any idea what sort of fire you might have ignited by entering the Darkhold Castle and removing the Darkhold from its tomb.'

(Y/N) (L/N) nodded his head, staring down at the chipped wooden flooring. 'Chthon,' he spoke quietly, afraid that merely speaking the name may inadvertently summon the Elder God, 'he came to the castle. I don't know how he did it, but he infiltrated my magicks.'

The Sorcerer Supreme finally put down his hands, letting his shields burn out as he shook his head disappointedly. He walked over to an aged sideboard, resting his hands on it as he sighed. 'And now you want to know how to stop whatever it is he's doing.'

'He isn't doing anything – not yet,' (Y/N) explained, 'but I don't want him interfering with my powers.' He began to think about what Chthon told him, about his plans to assume the body of the Scarlet Witch. 'Chthon wants a body. He wanted the Scarlet Witch's but I know she's gone and so does he. What if with her gone he comes after me?'

Wong turned his neck so as to look upon him now, 'how are you certain there will be no Scarlet Witch?'

(Y/N) struggled for a moment, 'I watched her die,' he said, trying to contain his emotions.

'I wish I could tell you that you've made your bed Dr (L/N), and that now you must lie in it,' the Sorcerer Supreme exhaled, 'but that very scenario threatens us all. Should Chthon take ownership of your physical form he would be able to break free from the binds which tie him to Wundagore Mountain, allowing him to freely roam the Earth and wreak havoc upon our reality.'

(Y/N) nodded, 'so are you going to help me?'

'I'll help you, Mage,' grumbled the sorcerer, 'but you must do what I say.' (Y/N) nodded reluctantly, he wasn't exactly the best at following other people's instructions, especially not a stranger's. 'Now, you go get some rest, tomorrow we start formulating a plan,' said Wong, pointing a finger down a long narrow hallway, 'a spare room lies at the end of that corridor, you're going to need your rest, Red Soldier.'

The door to the dimly-lit, yet extravagantly decorated, bedroom slammed behind him, shaking the paintings on the papered walls. A king-sized four-poster bed sat in the middle of the far wall. (Y/N)'s fingers brushed against the soft silk sheets as he crossed the room towards the vanity. His eyes gazed into the reflection; he barely recognised the man staring back at him.

Steve had been right when he said he didn't look healthy. The jacket which had once fit him perfectly now hung off his shoulders, swallowing his body in stained, wrinkled, red leather. He'd never seen his beard so long before, or his hair. (Y/N) pulled at the ends of his hair which were still tainted from the last time he'd dyed it, two Christmases ago. It was dry and split, almost falling out at his touch. Bags hung under his (E/C) eyes, reminding him of how tired he felt. He wondered whether or not he would look so sickly had he left Transia with Steve four months ago.