ISSUE #22

'Yo-yo-you're...' (Y/N) (L/N) stuttered, staring into the eyes of his former lover. Bucky hadn't changed one bit. His deep blue eyes were still hypnotising, his lips still so inviting. Seeing James Buchanan Barnes in the flesh almost turned his stomach inside out.

'Here,' Barnes finished for him, the fingers of his right hand brushing through the tatted hair on the side of (Y/N)'s head. 'I'm here, (Y/N).' (Y/N) (L/N) wasn't quite sure what to say. He wanted to tell Bucky how much he had missed him, how much he had longed for his touch, his hold, but all he could do was wrap his arms around James Barnes's torso and bury his head into his chest. Bucky held him tightly, one hand on his waist as the other rested on the back of his head, brushing smooth circles through his hair. 'It's alright, (Y/N),' he comforted, his slight Brooklyn accent sending shivers up (Y/N)'s spine.

'What if it's not alright though? What if we lose again?'

'You don't run out of victories, (Y/N),' said Bucky, repeating the words he had spoken the last time they had fought Thanos and his army, 'not when you're on the right side.'

The year he had lost Bucky flashed before (Y/N)'s eyes. The grief he'd experienced had transported him across space, where he'd ultimately avenged half of the universe in a truly gruesome manner. He'd consorted with a witch who had been the downfall of her own coven, sought after, and later possessed, the Darkhold in order to live out his fantasies with a dead man. The Red Soldier had hurt Captain America, who had only ever tried to help him. 'I don't know if I'm on the right side, Bucky,' he eventually replied, staring down at his boots.

Bucky cupped (Y/N)'s face in his hands, forcing him to look into his eyes. 'You helped bring us all back,' he stated, his stern brows furrowing slightly, 'you want Thanos gone for good... You're on the right side.' (Y/N) pulled away, staring up into the eyes which flickered over him. 'New uniform?' Bucky asked, changing the topic of their conversation.

'It's a long story,' answered (Y/N), the sound of gunfire interrupting his and Barnes's reunion.

'You can tell me later,' said Bucky, removing the machine gun from his back and replacing its magazine, 'just promise me you'll be safe out there.'

'You don't need to worry about me, Buck,' responded (Y/N), 'I can handle myself.'

James leant down slightly, 'I'll never stop worrying,' he spoke softly, his lips inching closer and closer towards (Y/N)'s. (Y/N) (L/N) turned his head away. Despite how much he'd have liked to lock lips with James Barnes once more, he knew that it wouldn't be fair on Rictor.

'Stay safe, Buck,' he half-smiled, patting Bucky Barnes's chest before taking off into the air.

Whilst in his time out, the Avenger's Compound had become an immensely crowded, chaotic, battlefield. Tony and Pepper were soaring through the air seamlessly, aiding those who were encumbered. Scott had grown exponentially and was kicking away the members of Thanos's army who persued him, with ease. And Wanda... Sweet, strong, brave, Wanda – the Scarlet Witch...

(Y/N) felt his heartbeat quicken as his eyes landed on her, the blood in his veins rushing through his limbs. His aura began to blaze a bloody shade of red, his eyes burning crimson as the circlet wrapping around his head glowed. (Y/N) began to lower himself to where Wanda had just landed, a mere ten feet away from where Thanos himself stood. 'You took everything from me,' she heaved, gritting her teeth.

The Titan seemed utterly confused, 'I don't even know who you are,' he shook his head at her.

'You will.'