Ch. 3 - First Impressions

The rest of your venture with Nanami was uneventful - and he was just as much of a crybaby crossing the gap on the way back despite its success. But for you...for you it was exhilarating, just like every other antic you found yourself up to. 

And, of course, your father insisted you help with the baking despite it not being your strong suit. Just as you predicted, it took a fair amount of time to finish all of the pastries. You made several different kinds made for all palates. Your father was exceptionally proud of his work. Hell, you were chosen out of all other towns in the kingdom for a reason, right?! 

What was left was catering the event...

It took quite a bit of work moving all 500 pastries into the ballroom, all while also avoiding the other hired help and servants setting up the room for the night's festivities. 
You didn't mind helping your father with the family business, but it was sure as hell boring to stand for hours on end behind the catering table while party guests enjoyed their time. Not to mention, this time you felt completely inadequate seeing beautiful girl after girl file in wearing their most precious ballgown. Some, however, did look ridiculous with their pompous crinolines making their bottoms look much larger than needed.

You numbingly watched as the girls mingled, some spinning in circles to the music with a dance partner that was likely a family member of some sort. The only eligible bachelor at this party was the king himself.

"What makes them ladies and princesses?" You grumbled to yourself as you pathetically watched the dancers while standing next to your father. You knew the answer, you just didn't like it. You spent your years living in what were practically rags, helping your parents when you weren't busy getting into trouble. 

Your father sighed, all-too-well knowing your opinions on royalty - though he disapproved and worried it would get you in trouble one of these days. "It's all in the lineage."

"Imagine being wealthy and educated all because of some dumb birthright," you continued, crossing your arms tightly to your chest. "It's not fair. What about the first royals? Who decided they get to be royal?" 

Your father refused to entertain that question. He also couldn't, seeing as the room grew incredibly silent for the arrival of the king. 
Every single woman in the room quickly lined up, making an aisle toward the head of the room where the throne had been moved. All other attendees merely pressed against any available wall space and eagerly looked on as the large double doors opened.

The young king entered with an ever-so apathetic look on his face while being lead with loud fanfare. You were forced to stand straight and tall, give a quick, low bow or curtsy, and come right back up during his passage as commoner formalities go. But that was as far as you'd go. Knowing there was no way in hell someone that important would come up and speak to you specifically, you only had to worry about your curtsy. 

The king was dressed somewhat casually for a ball. He wore a simple tunic and a pair of Venetian breeches with high leather boots. His long, flowing black hair was pulled into a half-up, half-down style. It was exactly how you saw him those few days ago. He was clearly a man who cared not for the fancy imagery of nobility.
The lazy look on his face remained throughout a majority of the time. He spent song after song dancing with a different woman who had sparkles in her eyes. Suguru could hardly look them in the eyes, not having any desire to be there. For all he cared, he was going to propose to a rando and call it a night. Hell, kings and queens have separate chambers. He'd only have to worry about one particular part that he could care less about.

As midnight approached and Suguru still having yet to propose, a few of the eligible bachelorettes had gone home - all according to his plan. Whoever had the gall to remain would certainly put up and shut up about his disinterest in being king. Whoever remained was clearly interested in just being queen.